Thursday, July 09, 2015

A few projects

There are always a few projects going on in my place.  I sometimes forget to share them with you.

I am happy to tell you that another section of the Arrowhead Quilt is quilted.
 Perhaps I need to join and sash a few more blocks!
Here is a close up of the purple section I did a random paisley/feather shape just to fill in the space.  I am not thrilled with it, but in a full quilt it will not be the star of the show anyway.
My friend, Barbara at Pineland Treasures has been knitting some little bowls and then fulling or felting them.  I tried one little bitty one.  At least there was success in knitting in the round.  I think I need to redo the felting part and see if I can get it to be a more solid fabric.  I used some of my handspun yarn --and the truth is, I can't be sure it was 100% wool.

It is a bit wonky and the fabric isn't stable yet.  I have knitted a larger one from commercial yarn that I know it 100% wool.   I will felt it this weekend.

The nice lady who works the nursery at my church mentioned to me that she would like to learn to knit.  While I am pretty new at it myself, I told her I would try to teach her how.  I decided that if she had a bag for her knitting, it might help to inspire her to keep at it. So I took some home dec fabric that I have (actually samples from a high end shop) and made this little bag.  I made up the pattern I made it.
 The pocket on the front was a fun bit to add in.  For the handles, I tried making a tube and turning it. Ha!  This fabric did NOT cooperate with turning.  So I took strips, folded both ends to the middle and seamed it shut. I think I like it better than my original handle idea.



Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Love your FMQ! The little bowl shows you've gotten that knitting in the round down. To full it more...errr....fully, agitation helps a lot, so whether it's hot water or not, just toss it in with the laundry. However, it does need to be all wool to work well. Keep at it!

kathyinozarks said...

everything looks awesome Gene, those little bowls always intrigue me I have one from Barbara and love it. and your knitting bag turned out really special-she will Love it
enjoy your weekend Kathy

Linda C said...

I don't see one thing the matter with the quilting or the knit bowl.

While you could technically turn handles it is so much easier to do it the way you ended up doing. Really with all those thicknesses it makes for a pretty sturdy handle. I think some even want you to put some fusible product to stiffen them. Cute bag!

As far as teaching your pal to knit, the teacher only needs to stay a jump or two in front of the student. When she can show someone else how, then you know she has learned her lessons.

Have a good creative day in whatever you chose to do!

Lynn said...

Looks like you are keeping busy and out of trouble - ha! I look forward to seeing your bigger felted bowl.

Jeanna said...

Great projects, Gene. It is very kind of you to offer to teach your friend how to knit and it is super sweet of you to make her such a wonderful bag.

I have never seen a knitted bowl but I love the look. How do you go about felting it?

Susan said...

Felting is great for first knitting projects...it hides a multitude of mistakes, but I honestly don't see any mistakes that need hiding in your little bowl! Very cute! Your quilting looks great too! FM is something that I plan to work on in the very near future!

Marlene said...

I love the colours in this quilt and enjoy seeing the progress. Unfortunately free motion quilting is something I've never gotten the hang of. If I was more confident with that there is a small bag project I'd like to do that involves Saori weaving, free motion machine work and embellishing.