Thursday, July 30, 2015

Color Me Happy

It would be no surprise to faithful readers to read that I love bright expressive color.   Rich jewel tone colors make my heart sing.   Today, Thursday July 30, I decided to dye some wool roving  to spin into yarn.   And just for grins since I have the dye mixed up and because I can,  I took two silk scarves and dyed them at the same time.  The dye is Jacquard Acid Dye.   So let's look at the results.
First off, here is the impetus for the dyeing adventure - the wool roving.

Do you see the myriad of colors in this? WOW!  So how many dye colors did I use?  Would you believe only four?   It is true.  I used Fire Red, Lemon Yellow, Turquoise, and Sapphire Blue.But I also got greens, purples, oranges, warm browns and in a couple of places the white of the wool remained. I will truly enjoy spinning this fiber.

And what of the scarves?  The wind was blowing wildly -although it is still in the mid-90s outside- while I attempted to take photos.
Silk Scarf 8" by 54"

Silk Scarf 11" by 60"
I proclaim them a glorious success.  I should mention that Vicki Welsh is my dyeing inspiration.  Perhaps tomorrow I will post some detail photos from the bottom scarf. Meanwhile,  I have three more silk scarves stashed to play with.  But that is a story for another day.
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

7 comments:

Jeanna said...

Those have Gene Black designs written all over them. I love it! Super fun and happy colors. The scarves will "make" any outfit. Can't wait to see what you do with the wool.

Barbara said...

Amazing color! Beautiful, to dye for! ;) there's a word missing in the title of this post. It should read "Color MAKES Me Happy".

Debbie said...

Beautiful colors.....love those silk scarves. And your flying photos are wonderful. It will be fun to see what the yarn looks like after spinning.

Susan said...

I can't wait to see that roving turned into yarn! It's going to be beautiful! (I'm seriously thinking that I'm going to take spinning classes this winter...fiber is so addicting!!!)

kathyinozarks said...

I can see someone had a very fun day-that yarn will be lovely all spun up and loving your scarf too

Edgar said...

Your dyeing silk and roving is just lovely - congrats!!!!

Marlene said...

Nicely done! I've been spinning roving with vibrant colours and it is so fun. You will enjoy it for sure.