Sunday, December 27, 2015

Random Piecing

Saturday afternoon, I needed some mindless sewing to do.  So, diving into the scrap bin, I found some strips that were already cut and some pre-pieced sections.

What if.....

Yes, what if.... Log Cabins?  But the one of the pre-pieced bits wasn't square.  But what if????  And why does it have to be square?   (And more questions - think of a 3 year old......)

Play time! That was the answer.  Explore the world with playtime.  So I sewed strips on, log cabin fashion -lights and darks segregated to opposite corners of the pieces.

Here are the results.

Can you see the two blocks?
Lets look at them individually.
The first started with a four patch - not really the traditional Log Cabin, is it? I also allowed the strips to be wonky. And there is an extra "dark" strip at the top.
Next up:
This piece started with a strip piece unit of five vivid colored pieces. It is a non-square rectangle shape.  So, now, what do I call these peculiar pieces?
I decided to call them "Log Condos."  They are log cabin like but the interior is subdivided.

I know, just some silly ramblings - but perhaps you will be inspired to expand on the theme of a traditional block in a non-traditional manner.
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

4 comments:

Marie said...

I like the Condo concept, who says we have to be perfect? Have a Happy New Year. Hugs, Marie

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Log Condos!! I LOVE it!! Gotta make me some of those - ;))

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

None of my blocks are standard. I love wonky, scrappy, unusual shapes and color combos and that's all I know how to make. If I had to make a quilt that would win an award I would never be able to do it. Heck, I couldn't even make one that could enter a competition and yet I love my stuff that's so unique and unusual. I don't know a single designer or fabric "line", I only know what I like and that's what I do. Barbara Stanbro, Cat Patches blog-a great gal- told me one day "Your quilt, your rules." So I have NO rules, none at all. I do what feels good to me and Nothing else. I LOVE Your New Blocks and Encourage you to do many many more of them.

LyndaLand.blogspot.com is where my stuff can be seen; please drop by and take a look.

Barbara said...

Lol here at Log Condo!