Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Spinning a Yarn-and.....

Suddenly,  this craving to spin some yarn overtook me.  I had bought some white bamboo fiber with thoughts of dyeing it.  The craving said "spin it!"  So I started spinning it.  Then the craving said, "You have some fun colored silk fibers in your stash - it will go so well with this."
Hmmm... to the bin I go, digging around. YES! there are three bags of it - and two of them are multi-colored. So I spun for a while.  Then I wound the thread off onto weaving bobbins.
Ooooh SHINY - and pretty too.
Both bamboo and silk are very soft and have a lovely sheen.  They almost glow with an internal light.

Hey, I have a piece that I am weaving --and this will work great with the cotton in it. In what seemed like moments, the three lovely bobbins were empty.  (it was longer than moments, but when you are in "the zone" - time loses meaning.)
WOW!  Look how it looks in my weaving.
It has lovely random color changes going across. This really plays nicely with the stripes in the warp.
Here is a close-up.
I have a feeling, I will be doing this more often.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

9 comments:

Debbie said...

How beautiful. I love the play of colors that you are creating. It may be random, but looks planned. And you are weaving in "scraps" of yarn.....keep it up!

MarthaVA said...

I love when we listen to our inner voice, and it works out so beautifully. Nicely done Gene. :-)

kathyinozarks said...

Love it Gene!

Jeanna said...

Oh so pretty! I need to find MY "zone"!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Boy, you said it - "Oooh SHINY - and pretty too." You really should do that more often - it's beautiful - ;))

Afton Warrick said...

You really see the beauty in the close-up.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Atta boy; you are wowing us with these ideas that come so beautifully to fruition.

Jane said...

That's really pretty! Came to your blog cause I couldn't get my comment to post on your youtube video about cutting bias binding. Thanks so much for sharing that info. It was clear, and wonderful, and very helpful!

Marlene said...

I can't remember Gene, do you have a spinning wheel? or did you do this from the tip of the bobbin winder on the loom?