Sunday, May 06, 2018

Creative Stirrings

After recuperating from the sickness, which was probably flu, I spent a few days just resting and letting the body recover some strength.  Honestly, I still didn't feel like doing much.  But, since I had a nice new warp on the loom - and not just any warp, but one that had been dyed - I decided to weave a bit on it.
Dyed Warp
The warp started out in a multicolor design.  We used a dye that not only dyes, but also has a reducing agent that removes some color from the original. So there are lots of gradations of color in the warp.
Using colors in the warp, I did some weaving.
The first part was woven with purple, then I switched to green.  I had looked at a pattern weaving done on a rigid heddle loom with pick up sticks and thought - I want to try that on my loom.  Let me show you a couple of close-ups.
A couple of float patterns woven.

Another more subtle float pattern woven.
The second one is very subtle and you may have to look to find it.  It forms a wide "V" shape.
I am enjoying the interesting color variations on this dyed warp.

The episode of The Quilt Show that premiered today has Katie Pasquini Masopust as the visiting artist.   She did a demo of using grids for quilt design.  I was inspired to grab a clipboard, paper, ruler and pen to play for a bit.  While I don't think I will be following the same path that she used with it, I did design a grid for a possible art quilt.
There are a lot of possibilities here. I love the dimensional effect that I achieved with just straight lines on paper.  Only time will tell which direction this may go - or if it will go in the "un-used idea" storage bin.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

4 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better and are taking it easy until you get your strength back - no sense overdoing it before you're ready and then getting sick again.

Your warp is really pretty - I like the green/purple combination - and your "floating" patterns give it that "extra" little touch. Your "grid" reminds me of long ago "perspective" designs in art class - it would make a very interesting piece - ;))

Jeanna said...

Happy to hear you are on the mend, Gene. Your weaving is in some of my favorite colors. Do you have plans for this piece?

I need to watch more of The Quilt Show. The episodes that I have taken the time to watch have been very inspiring.

JustCallMeElle said...

I love that woven piece! Glad you are feeling better!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That weave is great! I think your grid would make a great quilt. I wonder what it would look like in black and white? Interesting concept.