Saturday, May 26, 2018

Fabric Dyeing

On another blog I saw a pattern for pillowcases in the European style.  I really liked the idea of them so I decided to dye some fabric to make them with.  I mixed up some dye, pulled out some fabric and made it happen. 
Since there is no point in dyeing - at least for me - if you are going to do a nice batch of fabric,  I also did some other pieces to effectively use up all the dye that I had mixed.
 First let me show you the other pieces that are NOT for the pillowcases.

These two were dyed using mostly a "light red" dye. 
 Although I did drizzle just a little bit of a blue on this one.

Next up: the blue fabrics



And now the pieces with both colors 

 The above is nice and will be great for quilting
But the next one is my favorite of this batch.
I love the way the colors blended in places, the patterning and 
just everything about this piece. 

Finally the big piece of fabric that will eventually become my pillowcases:
 I am showing both sides since when I hung this to take photos, it was still folded in half.
I got more delightful patterning on this big piece, but there is a bit more white than I intended. 
After it is made into pillowcases, I will use it for awhile and decide *if* I want to 
overdye it to add more color. 

I think this dyeing session was a big success.  This is the first time that I have dyed fabric to make something specific.  The pillowcases made with the big chunk of fabric will be for my bed and will go perfectly with the quilt that I use on it.  That quilt has hand dyed fabrics in it also.
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

6 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree - this dyeing session was a BIG success! Lovely colors and interesting patterns - I'm looking forward to seeing the completed pillowcases. Question - what is the difference between the "European" style of pillowcase and the popular "burrito" style - or are they the same? I suppose I could "google" it - but it's more fun to ask you - LOL - ;))

Pamela Arbour said...

That last one would make a good quilt backing. I can imagine that the white might overtake the pillow case. I am looking forward to seeing how they turn out. Are they going to be 28cm square?

Susan said...

Very pretty! I especially like the first blue piece! They will make nice pillowcases!

Jeanna said...

These fabrics turned out very nice. I love the patriotic colors.

Marlene said...

I love ALL of these dyed pieces, but especially the one that is also your favourite. The denimy blue ones would work so well in boro stitching.

MarthaVA said...

Love them - especially the blue!
What fabric did you use, and where'd you purchase it?

Thanks Gene!