Monday, April 15, 2019

April Challenge: Island Batik and Accuquilt Go!

The Island Batik Ambassadors were given an Accuquilt Ready, Set, GO! package this year as part of an industry partnership with Island Batik.  For the April Challenge we were asked to make a baby quilt using the Go! cutter and the 8" Qube set that are included with the package.
This is the point where I confess that this was actually the first quilt top that I made as an Island Batik Ambassador.  I could not resist playing with the dies and experimenting with the blocks in the Eleanor Burns book that came with it.  I wanted to try every block in the book, but I managed to limit myself to only enough to make the quilt.  Since it is an on-point layout, that came to thirteen blocks.  I chose to use black, gray, and white as the setting triangles and sashing.

There are four of the "Sawtooth Star" blocks in this quilt. There are two "Old Maid's Puzzle" blocks, two "Frayed Four-Patch" blocks, two "Broken Sash" blocks, one "Whirlpool" block and one  variation on it, where I just changed the construction - I am calling it a design choice.  And in the very center there is a "Dutchman's Puzzle" block.

The Accuquilt package also came with a 2 1/2" strip die.  I used that die to cut the sashing strips and cornerstone squares.

This quilt measures 42 inches square.  The batting is Hobbs Premium Cotton batting.  The quilting was done with Aurifil threads in black and gray.  I decided to do a casual quilting that is less dense than my usual quilting as I wanted the baby quilt to be soft and snuggly.  In these photos the quilt has already been washed to produce the "crinkle" effect that I find so appealing in a quilt that will be used and loved.

I decided to do a two color binding in blue and red in order to echo some of the colors in the quilt.

Here is a cute photo with a couple of teddy bears from Mom's collection.

The fabrics were provided to my by Island Batik as an Island Batik Ambassador and the Accuquilt Ready, Set, GO! cutting system was also provided as mentioned above by Accuquilt in partnership with Island Batik. The Hobbs Batting was also provided as a part of the Ambassador program.  The Aurifil thread was in my stash although other Aurifil threads were also provided by the Ambassador program.  My sincere thanks to Island Batik and all of the partners/sponsors of the program.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

17 comments:

Alison V. said...

This looks great, Gene! And yes, I too end up doing some of my projects out of order, especially when a great idea strikes! :D

Barb said...

Turned out wonderfully.... can't help but play with a new toy

Vicki W said...

I lvoe the way that you did the black and white sashing!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I LOVE your baby quilt - and your use of the white, gray, and black! A terrific bunch of new toys is so hard to resist - especially when you have great ideas - ;))

Turid said...

This is such a lovely baby quilt. Congratulations on your finish.

Barbara said...

So wonderful, Gene, that someone as talented as you received all the Ambassador’s tools! Three things I LOVE about this quilt...the switching up of the black/white sashings and outer triangles, the dual varied color of the binding, and the fact that you washed to crinkle it. I love it all. Of course, the FMQ gets my attention as well. So beautiful all around!

Dena@LivingWaterQuilter.com said...

You certainly are adventurous. :-) I can tell you had fun trying different blocks and coordinating the fabrics for a lovely scrappy baby quilt. It's a good way to learn how to use the 8" Qube set.

JJ said...

Nice job, cute quilt.

teachpany said...

Cute quilt, and great photos and bears. I'm sure some little one would love to snuggle in it.

Karen said...

Your quilt turned out great, Gene. Love the bears :)

Carla said...

What a fun way to play with your new toy. Your sampler quilt is fun and the different sashing colors are so unexpected - really gives it that "wow" factor.

KaHolly said...

Pretty awesome!

Vicki in MN said...

Yes indeed you were having fun playing with our new tool!

Kathleen said...

This is a wonderful quilt! So fun to see the teddy bears hanging out with it. The switching up of the lattice and triangle colors is superb. It is fun to see the variety of blocks you used, as well as the multicolored binding.

Sandra Walker said...

Wow, this is a terrific showcase of AccuQuilt blocks and beautiful IB fabrics, Gene! Love that you did the border too. I really like the way you staged it too. LOL on your confession. :-)

Anita said...

Beautiful blocks and a wonderful finish!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I'm smiling because it's so obvious that you are enjoying your new Accuquilt Go since you made so many different blocks for this quilt! Kudos on a cute quilt. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.