Thursday, April 25, 2019

Progress - at least a bit

Sometimes life gets in the way of quilting.  This week and next week are like that. Medical appointments and other commitments can consume a lot of time.  But I finally managed to squeeze in some time to work on the LHQS quilt top.   Back in April I got the diagonal rows sewn.  And now I have started the sashing to join them.  I am working from the corners toward the middle.  That way only half of the top will be under the needle at once - at least until I sew that center seam!

 For now I have the two corners joined.  The paper pieces pinned in place are my way of keeping a little order so that I don't have to lay out the quilt each time I work on it.  One corner is marked "A" and the other is marked "B."   The remaining strips are marked "A1, A2, B1, and B2." 

To speed the process, I cut a stack of sashing sections (6.5" by 2.5") to have at the machine so when I get a few minutes to sew, I can add those 2.5" squares to them as mindless sewing.  Then I can join the strips for each sashing row.
I am sure that I will have to cut more of the sashing strips before I finish.  I will also have to cut border strips to surround the pieced top.  I find that important for on-point tops to help prevent stretching. (I prefer to add the border rather than stay stitching the edges.)
I am undecided if I will end with the teal border or add a print border outside it.  But, that is a decision for another day.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

8 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Progress is progress and we'll take it when we can!! A fun bright quilt is what you have happening here.

Vasudha said...

Grabbing a few minutes here and there is mostly how I sew. When I'm lucky, I get a couple of uninterrupted hours over the weekend. Love the colors in your quilt.

Barbara said...

Beautiful fabrics, and. as always great progress!

Turid said...

Beautiful blocks. And yes, you have to grab any moment for sewing.

Rhonda said...

Any bit of sewing is a great thing!!! Good for you.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your LHQS is looking good!! I love the teal/turquoise sashing - it goes so well with all of the Kaffe fabrics. I prefer to assemble my top starting with the longest/middle row and working out to one corner. Then I sew the second section from the center out to the other corner - that way the "next" row keeps getting shorter rather than longer - until I get to the end and have to sew the two sections together - ;))

Debbie said...

Looking good. You have to have a system for joining like this, or things get messy....lol. Or at least mine do. Do you hate those time stealing appts and doctors, and such. I am almost old enough I can start saying NO!

Frog Quilter said...

Loving your colors. Beautiful.