Wednesday, April 17, 2019

More Units Made

The Daisy Chain Quilt Along is still going strong.  Monday, Alison released the instructions for Unit D.  This involved sewing some strips together and sub-cutting them before joining them to other strips.
Here are the strip sets that I sewed.  I chose to use three Island Batik fabrics in each set, along with one solid in an aqua color.  I did not use the same three batiks in each set, but I aimed for a nice scrappy variety but using the aqua in each set added a bit of consistency.
Here are some of the strip units.

As you can see I did repeat some of the batiks, but I also mixed it up so that there was a planned randomness.
Those strips were cut into two and a half inch sections and sewed to the  background strips.
 Finally those needed to be pressed open to finish unit D.

Since I am making the throw sized quilt, I  constructed a total of 24 of these units.  According to the schedule we will begin using the various units to start constructing our quilt tops on May 6th.  I am really looking forward to seeing exactly how these units will go together to become a quilt.
This has been a fun quilt along for me so far.  I really think that I will love the finished quilt.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

The colors are so refreshing looking. Hope you are feeling better and stronger.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Ooh - I LOVE the colors on this one - but I think I told you that already - LOL. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed top - and I'm glad to see that you have been sewing a little - ;))

Frog Quilter said...


Love the batiks you are using. Great vibrant colors!

Barbara said...

I have always LOVED the fun of making a mystery quilt, and I am really enjoying your process. Those batiks have me wanting to go shopping for quality batiks. I don’t know what I’d do with them at this time except look and touch, but that would be enough. I had to smile at your phrase of “planned randomness”. Isn’t that an oxymoron? Lol. Beautiful Gene, keep us updated.

Alison V. said...

Your units look great, Gene! Can't wait to see your quilt get put together! :D

tonyamay said...

Looking good, can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Kathleen said...

Love these colors! Can't wait to see the finished quilt.
Kathleen, kakingsbury at verizon dot net