Saturday, May 25, 2019

Just One Block

For those of you who aren't aware, it is blazing hot in Alabama. Today was 94F with a heat index of 101F.  So, I am being lazy and trying to take it easy.  A tall glass of ice water or ice tea works well in this climate. I would love a Mexican Agua Fresca if they were as accessible as they were last year when we visited Mexico.   Ah well, ice water works just fine.

Two weeks ago, I made a 12" block for the "orange and purple together" quilt using a batik fabric for the background. Everyone seemed to love that one.  I realized that I need one more 12" block to put with the 8 inch blocks so everything fits together.  Thus, we get today's block.
I used a multicolored batik for the background.  I had leftover pieces of the pale orange that I used as flying geese points.  The extra pieces were cut quickly with the AccuQuilt Go!  and it was super easy to sew this block together.

I have been busy with other things the past week. We celebrated my Mother's 83rd birthday with family and food. Of course, I baked the cake - that is our family tradition for several years now.
 I have also started rehearsing with a choir for a Patriotic Concert that will be held on July 2nd.  The choir director invited me personally.  (I am sure he did that with LOTS of people. I just happened to see him in the hallway - so he asked.)  When he told me that there would be an orchestra I found it hard to say no.  But to seal the deal, he told me the venue - my favorite stage that I have ever performed on - Oxford Performing Arts Center.   I have been volunteering there for over a year and I just love the place and the staff.  This is also where our Community Theatre performed Young Frankenstein.  You may remember that I was in that play back in October of 2017.  I got to sing, dance and act on that wonderful stage. Plus, I got to indulge my love of making people laugh out loud.
I even did a rare selfie on opening night before the audience arrived. 
So,  you may see fewer posts in the next few weeks.   But I am alive and very busy. I will be back at it soon enough.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Please wish your Mom a Happy Birthday!! for me. Lemonade is good, too, in hot weather - but then anything with ICE is good - LOL. Love the look of a square-in-a-square using Flying Geese - I had to look twice to see it. Have fun in rehearsals - ;))

Debbie said...

The theater calls, and away he goes! Enjoy the production time. Anything to beat this heat.

Barbara said...

Now this is an orange purple that I love! Happy holiday!

Kathleen said...

A fun block and an entry of lots of fun ahead for you - enjoy!

Vicki W said...

...and the theater will be air conditioned for all those rehearsals!

Barb said...

Happy Birthday to MOM...glad you are alive and busy...love the block

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I would have loved to see Young Frankenstein. The movie was my 'first date' movie.