Saturday, May 11, 2019

Orange and Purple -Together again

The quilt I am slowly making with the orange and purples got two new blocks this weekend. (there may be more yet!)



 These two blocks will finish at twelve inches instead of eight.  So that means that there will need to be two more of these OR a group of four inch blocks added to make up the difference.  Two nine patches that finish at twelve inches would work just fine.  A friendship star is a simple nine patch, so it would work well.  There are lots and lots of possibilities.  The big trick is that I am cutting these 12 inch blocks with a Go! Qube 8 inch set. It is simply one and a half of the size.  Since the Qube 8" set has pieces that finish at both 4 and 2 inches it will work out. Each section of a 12 inch nine-patch should finish at 4 inches.  I learned this from Beaquilter, her site is also where I found these two blocks. I confess that I simplified the top one just a bit. I replaced corners that were four pieces with a single half square triangle unit.
Remember as you are piecing that it is YOUR quilt and you can change anything that you want to change.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

6 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Nice blocks, Gene! The top one looks like it would make an interesting secondary design if you made a bunch of them and placed them block to block with no sashing Using an 8" Qube set to cut pieces for a 12" block is clever - ;))

Joyce Carter said...

I really love that first block. It is so amazing and would make a very beautiful quilt.

Vicki in MN said...

And I really like that first block.

Quilting Gail said...

How fun - using the 8" Cube dies to make 12" blocks! Bea is certainly a wonderful resource!
I, too, like the first block! The 2nd block is nice too!
Have fun creating this quilt!
Happy Quilting! :-)
quiltinggail@yahoo.ca

Barbara said...

The first block seems to be a favorite with others, it’s my favorite also. The orange is more muted and the batiks are showcased more to my eye. Beautiful!

Barbara said...

Plus, I’ve never seen that block before. It’s a Gene original!