Monday, November 04, 2019

Starting Quilting

Last week, I finally got my November Island Batik Challenge quilt basted.  Then I sewed some stabilizing stitches in the seams of the columns.  I confess I didn't go back and do the rows. 
Today I started quilting it.  I am using my variation of a design I learned in a Leah Day class on BluPrint.  It is called Alien Fingers, but when I do it they become Freaky Alien Fingers as I meander about with them instead of making "hands" with them. 
Seriously though, I love the effect especially after it is washed and gets crinkly.  To me that says it is a comfortable quilt.


I love this blue and yellow together. 

I am using a lovely yellow Aurifil thread to quilt it with.  I didn't realize until I had wound four bobbins that it is a variegated yellow and white.  I think it is perfect for this quilt.

It just looks yellow on the spool. 
FYI the two bobbins on top of the spool pin are for this quilt.  The two on bottom are my go-to piecing thread - a 50 weight cream/bisque.  Since I rarely use two spools at once, I use that spool pin for bobbin storage.  In my limited space, it is a perfect solution.

The photo thing wasn't working again. I hope you can see the photos. I used the solution that the blogger help community offered.

I showed my Facebook Fans the Funky Friend that I made for the Island Batik booth at Quilt Market. So I am going to show it to you here. This is Pete. He is made with a pattern from The Funky Friends Factory.   The fabric Pete is made from will be coming to stores in February.  Pete is made from the Santa Fe line of Island Batik fabrics.  Isn't he just adorable?
Puppy Dog Pete


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I do like the blue and yellow together and your freaky alien finger quilting look great.Pete is very cute and that fabric line looks interesting.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Yes - I can see the photos - so whatever you are doing appears to be working. Freaky Alien Fingers - too funny!! Love your blue and yellow - and your bobbin storage solution - handy but out of the way. Pete IS adorable - and I think I have a couple of Funky Friends - but I'm not sure there is a "pattern" for them - LOL - ;))

Pam said...

I made Puppy Dog Pete and stuffed him with poly pellets so that he I can pose him. Cute pattern. Yours is handsome.

Louise said...

Yellow is a great color to quilt with! Easy to see, and it blends well with so many color combos. Pete is adorable!

Kathleen said...

The blue and yellow is great and I love seeing the puppy!

Barbara said...

Omg, how cute is Pete?! I’m another one who loves the soft soft and crinkly look. I never did anything to avoid that. I rather encouraged it. The combination of blue and yellow is always eye catching, I love it!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Pete is cute!