Saturday, November 16, 2019

Sunny Skies: Tool Time - November Island Batik Challenge

Welcome to my blog post for the November Island Batik Tool Time challenge.  Roughly half of the Island Batik Ambassadors are doing  "Tool Time" this month, while the alternate group is doing "A Piece Of...." to showcase new fabrics.
I have found that these challenges bring out the best in my quilting.  I love the rush of creating something new while fitting into the challenge theme.


If you saw my post way back in August, you know that I am using Triangles On A Roll as my tool for this challenge.  The top of this quilt was mostly done early, but then life interfered with getting it completed.  However, I did get it finished (and posted) before the end of November, so I am good. Ha ha.







I started by designing the quilt to use lots of half-square triangles - just so I could use the "tool" I had chosen for the challenge.  To use the  Triangles On A Roll  it is necessary to cut pieces of fabric just slightly bigger than the section of paper you are using.  I discovered that with these I only wanted it big enough to do twelve sets of triangles at most. If you can read the fine print on this photo you can tell that for four units, you will need two 10" squares.  Since I was using some squares from an Island Batik Stack of Sunny Side Up, this was perfect for me.

I also used some yardage. For those units I could use more than one section of four at a time.
** Late addition: It is on the instructions but I want to remind you that you should lower your stitch length to make it easier to tear away the paper.


It was challenging but also fun to sort out the color arrangement. I had worked that out prior to starting using another tool that I love: Electric Quilt 8.

I made lots of half square triangles, 96 if you are counting! I probably made a few extra that will show up in a scrap quilt later.  I also used the Accuquilt Go! cutter and a die from the Qube Companion set "Angles" for the inner border that completes the design.  Accuquilt gave each ambassador a cutter and Qube 8" set.  However,  I did purchase the "Angles" companion set as I saw the value in having it for designs I want to make.
There are 48 border units so it was a big help. The border units are made with the angle die "14" from the Qube 8" Corner Companion.  This die makes the sides of the Triangle in a Square block. When you join two of them, they create a 4" by 2" section.  That worked perfectly with my Triangles On a Roll units.
You can see the border units on the far left of the photo.
I used Hobbs Premium Cotton batting for this quilt as I expect it to be used and washed a lot. With this batting I can machine wash and dry the quilt with no worries. I love using Hobbs Batting.

The quilting thread is from Aurifil and was in my July box of goodies that were provided to me from Island Batik and partners.





It is a subtly variegated yellow to white.  It is so subtle that I originally thought it was just yellow.  I realized that it was variegated when I started winding bobbins for quilting.  It worked out fantastically on the quilt.













So now, how about some quilt photos?

Draped on an old fence
After two days of rain, it is amazing how beautiful that blue sky looks.

On the ground in a field

Sunny Skies on the porch steps under skies that are indeed sunny today. 

Full View, taken from the porch with the quilt laid on the ground


The Island Batik fabric, Hobbs batting, Aurifil thread, and the Accuquilt Go! cutter were given to me as an Island Batik Ambassador in consideration for promoting these brands while creating the challenge quilts.

I love using these fine products for creating glorious quilts and quilted items.

I hope you are finding a way to stay creative too. Remember, a few minutes each day will add up to great accomplishments if you are consistent.


I hope you have been following the Island Batik "A Piece Of...." Blog hop.  If not you can find the round up of week two HERE.  You should really be following as there are some wonderful giveaways involved.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

16 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love this quilt!

Barbara said...

I really like this one, Gene! I can’t relate to a lot of the tools that you use because I don’t have them, but that’s just me. I always wanted to just use what I already have, and now I’m not making quilts so much anymore. The photo I love the most is of the quilt hanging on the old fence, but then the last photo really shows your crinkled look that I also love. Absolutely beautiful work!

Barbara said...

PS...meant to ask how long did it take you to quilt this one? It is abundant and stunning!

Karen said...

Awesome quilt, Gene! I especially like the border. I'd love to know the colour number of your thread, subtle variegateds like that are so appealing!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

That was certainly worth the wait!! Blue and yellow is such a cheerful color combination - and your quilting is AWESOME - ;))

Calicojoan said...

Great job! I love these fabrics and your triangles on a roll are a great tool.

Pamela Arbour said...

Very nice. Thanks for sharing your process with the tools. That was a good choice using those triangle papers, especially being able to use 10" squares. Your pictures turned out fabulous. The sun really captured the theme! It's so nice when mother nature works with us. LOL

Debbie said...

I so love the colors and appreciate the tips on the tools.

Kathleen said...

Nice use of the tools - any and all that are available is a good thing. Great colors and a great design.

Louise said...

I really love the outer border treatment with the half rectangle triangles! That really steps it up a notch. Great job! :)

Anita said...

Your quilt is beautiful, love the blues and yellow! I have never used the Triangles on a Roll, but I would like to try it.

Barb said...

Oh...that yellow just makes it POP....love it. I had some triangles on a roll but gave it away, maybe I should have kept them???

Lyndsey said...

I just love this quilt. The design, colours and quilting are perfect. Great work Gene.

Sally said...

Nice use of triangles on a roll! Blue and yellow are one of my favorite color combos. This bright verison is so pretty!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice quilt. I made your peanut butter icing again this week. YUM!!!

Sandra Walker said...

I love blue and yellow together and like you, I love blue skies, and miss them after several grey days, which we've had here. You designed a gorgeous quilt that looks so very snuggly. Beauty all around! :-)