Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Quilting it!

My December challenge quilt for the Island Batik Ambassador program is moving right along.  I finished the top using the pieces from the last post.   Then I layered and basted it using a Hobbs Silk Blend batting. 
The next step was some ditch quilting to stabilize the quilt sandwich a bit more. 

Now the FUN part has started.   With the quilting in the ditch, I can start anywhere on the quilt for the free motion quilting.  So I started in the upper right corner on the black background.  I have decided to do LOTS of pebbles on this quilt.   All of the black in the interior will be pebbled.  It makes a wonderful texture that I just love.

Another great thing about pebble quilting is that it pushes the background down and lets the design part of the quilt seem to pop forward.   And since the theme of the challenge is 3D,  it also adds a nice 3D texture to the design.    I am hoping to have the finished in early December so that I can share it with you.

The design is a variation on a classic quilt design that I have wanted to make for a very long time.  I am excited about this quilt - so excited that I really want to share the top with you right now.  But I am going to show some restraint.....and build  your an-ti-ci -------------------pation!

Happy Thanksgiving my dear ones. Be sure to thank whoever creates dishes of the food that you enjoy on Thanksgiving.  And also thank the farmers and others who work to get that food to your table.  We have so much to be thankful for. 
And I am thankful for you readers who keep me inspired with your comments.  Blessings to you.


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

6 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Blessings to you, too, Gene!! I'm thankful to have you as a friend - and am looking forward to seeing what wonderfulness you have to share for your December challenge - ;))

P.S. "Anticipation" - haven't heard that song in a while - LOL - ;))

Barbara said...

A very peacefully happy Thanksgiving day to you and yours as well, Gene! The quilt does indeed look pebbled, very much like a carefully tended rock garden. Can’t wait to see the rest that pops out from it.

Debbie said...

Pebbles look great! But I tend to get very bored with them, so I rarely use them. You are spot on about good texture and the 3D effect.

Frog Quilter said...

I love pebbles. After pebble get for hours you will feel it the next day. Happy thanksgiving.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I just read through your last posts, Gene. I like how your muse speaks to you for quilting advice. Wish I had one, LOL. Meanwhile, you are doing lovely stitching there with the pebbles. Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful. Any Black Friday shopping for you?

Kathleen said...

You are a tease! I love the pebbles and look forward to seeing the finished piece.