Monday, October 12, 2020

A UFO becomes a project

Most quilters have UFOs (UnFinished Objects) that they intend to finish someday.  I decided that this one had found its someday.  Even though I had a lot of the fabric scraps left, I had a table mat that got damaged.  (I think I can fix it though)  Why not use a small UFO to replace it?  I pulled out the piece and measured it against the table.  It needed a bit more at each side. Using the background fabric, I added a couple of strips to the long sides and it was good.  I layered it with a backing (more about that later) and some batting.  The quilting began.  I want to say thanks to all of the free-motion quilting teachers who stressed practicing to build up muscle memory.  Even though my vision is a bit blurry,  the muscle memory made it work.  

That was as far as I got before needing a break. I took the photos and left it for a while. 

Now about the backing fabric,  I used a piece that I bought in Mexico a few years ago on one of our adventure trips.  As a  quilter/artist/crafter it is almost impossible to avoid a bit of recreational fabric shopping on vacation - Am I right? You know I am! 

Here is the piece of fabric that I chose to use as the backing on this. 

It didn't strike me as much then as it does now,  those words are not Spanish, I do believe they are French.  I had a year of French in high school, but I honestly didn't learn much. I do remember that Fleur is flower in French, while in Spanish it is flor. (plurals FR-fleurs  SP-flores) 

I just thought this fabric would be fun on the back - and it would finally use a piece of it for something I will use. 
I am hoping for a finish tomorrow. 

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Perfect use of a UFO! LOVE the backing and your quilting! - ;))

Frog Quilter said...

Very nice Gene. Love the quilting!!!

Barbara said...

The backing fabric is so interesting, love it. I had two years of French in high school, don’t remember any of it now. Your quilting is wonderful as always. When all is said and done, and your vision is no longer blurry, you will find the added bonus of more intense color in your life, a perfect result especially for you!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Creative quilting, too. I'm hoping to shop for a bit of fabric while on my trip. We'll see if the quilt store is still open where I'm vacationing.

Debbie said...

Love that backing fabric! No matter what language it is cool. Quilting looks goodto me, but then I can understand blurry!

Sandra Walker said...

Mais oui mon ami, c'est le français! You are absolutely right, and before I read what you wrote, I grinned when I saw the fabric and then even more when I read that you bought it in Mexico. :-) Glad you are able to FMQ; it's such fun and I am thinking a bit blurry eyes could be a good way to let go of imperfections and stressing about them....

Quilting Gail said...

Blurry eyesight or not ... your quilting is pretty great! I love the variety in the blue strips!
And your backing fabric - perfect!
Happy Quilting! :-)