Monday, October 05, 2020

I have been away

I have been away - from the blog, but I have been at home.  The last day of September was my birthday. We were planning a small socially distanced family gathering and we had to wait until Saturday to do it. 

Some of you may know that I am the baker in the family. I usually make the birthday cakes for all of the family birthdays.  They are not always lovely, but they are always delicious.  

How did I get this "job?"  The honest truth is that I love doing it. My paternal grandmother had a stroke when I was a child.  She and my grandfather moved to a house next door to us.   One of her traditions was to have five cakes made for Christmas- and the week before. If anyone came by, they were offered cake and coffee.  After the stroke, she was unable to do the physical work of making a cake.  But, I was a willing assistant.  She gave directions and I was her "hands."  Her mind was as sharp as ever.  All of the recipes were in her head.  I sincerely wish I had written them down.   After I did this for a few years, I became very good at making a cake.  Some of her cakes started with a humble cake mix. But, the directions on the box were considered "guidance" not rules.  

"It says 'two eggs," I exclaimed. "We are putting three in there, it will be better!" Granny reassured me. After that, I just did what she said - of course I probably asked "why" a few times. 

So, I am the "cake baker" for the family, even on my birthday.  I am always thinking "what can I do differently."  This year, I made a dark chocolate cake with an Ermine Icing and filled it with cherries. Then the rest of the cherries and "sauce" went on top.  It was/is fantastic. 


The icing/frosting has a grainy look but it is delicious.  Of course, I "did a granny" with the recipe and added some of my "chocolate covered cherry" preserves to it. 

Hopefully, I will be showing you some new creative things soon.  But then, making a cake is a creative venture. 

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

12 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Happy belated birthday and the cake looks delicious!!!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Happy belated birthday. I like cooking too, and it is fun to experiment and change recipes.

Lyndsey said...

Happy birthday Gene. I love baking cakes and experimenting with the ingredients. Your cake looks delicious.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Your cake looks YUMMY - the only thing better than peanut butter and chocolate is CHERRIES and chocolate - ;))

Frog Quilter said...

Happy birthday Gene! Your cake has my mouth watering for it.

I am the cake baker in my small family and create them from scratch. They come out really tasty!

Barbara said...

On a night when we need to grocery shop, have very little for dinner, and NOTHING for dessert, this post feels cruel. Lol! Seriously, it’s beautiful, belated happy birthday!

Vicki W said...

Your cake is beautiful!

Debbie said...

Haappy birthday! Yummy cake looks wonderful!

piecefulwendy said...

Happy Birthday, Gene! I'm glad you took time to enjoy your day and celebrate with cake! It looks delicious!

Sandra Walker said...

Okay I am drooling here. Chocolate cake is my favourite but add the cherries? and the icing? and then your chocolate cherry preserves? Dying.


Okay I'm back from dying. Happy birthday! I have been known to make my own cakes too!

Quilting Gail said...

Belated Happy Birthday!!
Your cake looks WONDERFUL!!!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

A belated Happy Birthday to you! Your cake looks delicious. I might be drooling. My grandmothers were treasures, too! If only I had paid more attention to their wisdom.