Friday, September 02, 2022

Friday - Face Off Day

I have done some sewing work this week but no new face creation.  I did try to use some wax pastels, Cray-Pas brand, to do a quick face.  It was a disaster and reminded me that I bought those to create linework  and resists on acrylic paintings.  I simply do not have the skills to use them for anything else. At least not yet!  
After writing the above, I decided to goof with the drawing before I trashed it. I added an eye-patch.  At least now it is less strange. (You can only imagine how bad it was before, right?)
Right-Eye Reneé


 I have decided to share some face photos from the past.  First up is the Silver Angel from Merida, Mexico.  I saw this fellow one Sunday in the Grand Plaza.  When he stands still you could mistake him for a statue. But the sunglasses are a clue. I suspect he does not want the silver makeup/paint that close to his eyes.  The costume is wonderful. You may notice the bag at his waist.  When anyone gave a tip, however large or small, he would reach into the bag and provide a slip of paper to the giver.  
Of course I had to find out what it was about. 
After giving him a tip, he handed me a slip of paper with 
a saying/proverb/quote in Spanish (of course.) 
Upon returning to my lodging, I used google to translate it. 
I then searched for the quote. 
"Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Interestingly, that is from Mark Twain. 
It continues, I found, with this:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Yes, indeed.  We do regret the things we failed to do more than those we did. 

Next up is a ridiculous picture of me as the chef's face. 

Totally absurd, but I regret nothing about this photo!





 

I am linking up with  DVArtist for the Friday FaceOff.
  Clicking the link will take you to her blog.  It is a great opportunity
 to see how various people interpret the challenge.
Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

10 comments:

Tom said...

...Gene, the Silver Angel had me fooled at first. I can't imagine striking a pose for so long. Keep the music playing my friend.

sirkkis said...

Thanks for a big smile; you have such a great sense of humor!
Enjoy weekend xx

DVArtist said...

Ohhhhh the Silver Angel made my day. I love him. He really has an angelic way about him. You are right, his makeup and costume are amazing. What a wonderful find in Mexico. BTW you must know by now that I am very connected to Mexico I love the people and the culture there. OK, Right Eye Renee just looks like a happy girl. Thank you for joining Friday Face OFF and have a great day today.

Christine said...

Nice faces

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

What a FUN post - and such interesting faces!! - ;))

Carola Bartz said...

I am very glad that you didn't throw the painting in the trash! It is fun, actually. The "twenty years" quote from Mark Twain was our guideline when we discussed - a bit more than 20 years ago - whether we should move to the US for three years or not. We did - and we are still here.

My name is Erika. said...

You may not be 100% happy with your face this week, but I am really impressed with the nose. I have been working on drawing noses with not much success. And it is fun to see your photo of the angel in Mexico. That quote is a good one. I wonder if he gave everyone the same quote? Have a wonderful holiday weekend. hugs-Erika

NatureFootstep said...

those human statues are incredible. Never seen a silver one. only whitepainted. I have a hard time understand how they can stand so still for a long time. They hardly even move their eyes.
Quite amazing.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your angel is awe inspiring and I love the message he was handing out. I wonder how a young (making an assumption here) man ends up doing this and if the rewards are worth it. So an eye patch makes your picture less strange ... hmmmm, you're right, how strange was it. Any pictures of the original? Willing to share how strange it was? We don't judge you know, we just enjoy ... feel free to share :) Enjoyed your chef picture as well ... Fun post, Gene ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Fundy Blue said...

Love the faces, Gene. I often see human statues of Fremont Street in Vegas. I could never be still like that. Have a good one!