Friday, December 09, 2022

Dec 9 Friday Face Off

I am still having a lot of fun creating face quilts. One of the things that I love best is the personality of each character.  Today's face is named Cora Mae. Cora Mae sings in a bluesy jazz style. 


Cora Mae was created on one of the scrappy backgrounds that I showed previously  Cora Mae is made of all warm colors to contrast nicely with the cool colored background.  The one exception is her lips. Those are a cool purple that looks almost blue in this photo. Originally, the planned photo didn't have the highlights in the eyes.  I noticed that as I was beginning to write the blog post. A quick run into the studio and less than a drop of white paint fixed that quickly.  Here she is without the eye highlights.
You can see that the highlight adds character and life to the gaze.
On this one, the quilting seems subtle to me.  
Once the face is fused, I use black thread to do what I call coloring book outlines to sew down all the edges of the figure.  In this case, while it was still under the needle, I created the hair design also. 
And prior to that here is what she looked like  fused into place with no lines added.

Although this shows the process in reverse, you can see that each layer adds and builds on the previous layer to complete the piece.  The next stage will be to mount the small quilt onto a 12" square stretched canvas. The canvas will be painted black around the edges and on the front part that will show in the completed piece.  Putting it on a canvas makes it easy to hang this on the wall like a painting. 

I am linking up with  DVArtist for the Friday FaceOff.
  Clicking the link will take you to her blog.  It is great fun
 to see how various people interpret the challenge.


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

11 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

I love the quilted face, she's beautiful. Good to see the various stages of the development. Happy FFO, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I really enjyed how you took us through the process. Yes, the eyes do look much better. I was quite surprised at how much better the face looked once outlined in black. This is a great face, Gene. Now if my sewing machine would behave that well.

My name is Erika. said...

Cora Mae is one great quilted lady Gene. I'm really glad you made her lips blue. They stand out that way, and I think she must be a lady who likes something in her features to stand out. Oh and by the way, you asked about Hammond and Hammond organs in my post comment. We asked the tour guide about that, and she said no. They were 2 different people/families. Have a great weekend. hugs-Erika

Christine said...

Well done Gene!

DVArtist said...

Wow! You are right the highlights in the eyes make all the difference. I could see a great show with all of your face quilts. They are so brilliant. Thank you for sharing with FFO.

sirkkis said...

Every way he is gorgeous, Gene!!
Thank you for showing the process. I really love the handsome fellow.
Enjoy the weekend xx

Iris Flavia said...

I love Cora Mae - and thank you for showing the process, too. How do you fix the pieces, with needles? Glue?

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE Cora Mae - and I enjoy how you explain the process. The little details make a big difference - ;))

Tom said...

...Gene, Cora Mae looks like she has been out on a cold winter day with those blue lips!

Carola Bartz said...

The highlights in the eyes indeed make a big difference - for me, they give more life to Cora Mae. And I can hear her singing in that bluesy jazz band, she has quite the smokey voice.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

This is a really effective piece! I love all the ways you jazzed it up to make it more interesting. The colors and the background are all so good!