Thursday, December 15, 2022

Friday Face

Welcome to another Friday Face! This lady seems to be suffering from seasonal depression which can be a very big problem this time of year.  Did you know that many people suffer winter depression? Some people call it the "winter blues,"  but for those prone to depression, it can be a serious issue.  I know that I need more light in my house in the winter to combat the gloom of winter.  I freely admit that I have suffered depression in the past.  I needed both medication and counseling to get past the problem. I no longer require either, but I stay vigilant and would seek help if needed.  
People, this is NOT something to cause shame - the only shame is not seeking help and overcoming the depression.  If you would like to read more about seasonal affective disorder, here is a link to the Mayo Clinic article.
(end of my public service announcement/rant)

I enjoyed creating this lady, and I didn't realize how sad and forlorn she looks until after I had finished. I think part of that is created by the heavy eyes and perhaps by the colors I used. Also, the mouth is "pouty/sad" because I used the darker color for the top lip. 
Because the face is darker, I chose a bright yellow into green hand dyed fabric for the background. 
All of the face, neck and hair are also hand dyed fabrics. The torso bit is a nice batik that just looked perfect, but it needed that hand dyed ruffle around the neck to keep it from blending into the neck. 

Ms. Nancy

 The next stage will be to mount the small quilt onto a 12" square stretched canvas. The canvas will be painted black around the edges and on the front part that will show in the completed piece.  Putting it on a canvas makes it easy to hang this on the wall like a painting. 

I am linking up with  DVArtist for the Friday FaceOff.
  Clicking the link will take you to her blog.  It is great fun
 to see how various people interpret the challenge.


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

14 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I like your new lady with her sad/pouty face - especially the quilting in her hair. And thank you for your public service announcement/rant. Depression is a serious issue and it seems to be more prevalent this time of year. Check on your friends - you never know - a visit or a phone call might make their day a little less "lonely" - ;))

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WOW. I love your hand dyed fabric. I like mottled hand dye and yours is perfect. I think her eye lids make her look sleepy, not sad. I think this is awesome, Gene!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I got carried away with the face and forgot to mention that I don't know anyone with SAD, but I know it's a very real and (as you pointed out) treatable disorder. I know some have suggested a certain full spectrum light will help.


Gillena Cox said...

WOW!!!
This is awesome

muchđź’—love

Valerie-Jael said...

I love your quilted lady. These cold and dark days don't do me good, either! Happy Friday, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

I have a so-called "daylight-lamp" against depression.
Oh, I hate the dark half of the year. Yet I try to get outside, it´s good.
Your lady really looks sad. And tired. The green and yellow really makes up for it, very good.

My name is Erika. said...

She is lovely, and I agree she has seasonal depression. I deal with it too, and like in Iris' comment, I have my happy light. And now that I am retired I can get outside more which helps me. Your quilt is another amazing face Gene. These are great pieces. hugs-Erika

Tom said...

...Gene, she is lovely, but it's Christmas time, she needs to smile!

DVArtist said...

You are right Gene, the only shame is not seeking help. I have to have sunlight in winter as well. I can really slip into that warm, dark place if I am not careful. Part of the reason I try to keep very busy in winter. Your beautiful lady can be construed as sad but I see a sultry lady here. The heavy eyelids and pouty mouth. She reminds me of a dance hall girl from the 50s. Anyway the ones shown in the movies. My granddad owned a dance hall and I would go there and dance on the stage during the daytime. Anyway, I do love this face especially the colors. Have a great day and thank you for joining FFO. Ohh, I have had a request to show how to put a face on a bottle. I will do a step by step next week.

Christine said...

Well done! Depression is to be taken seriously.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Glad your brought up the issue of SAD. It seems people are talking about mental health more.
I like you art quilt.
I took part in face off.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

The wisdom in your words about depression is most appreciated. I, myself, have not succumbed to depression, but I know many who have. The gray days of winter are fodder for this affective disorder. Thank you so much for reminding us that there are those who might appreciate a friendly call or a note of encouragement.
As for your lady ... I don't need to tell you that I love the art work you do ... she is definitely sad, but the brightness surrounding her brings to mind that there is hope. I love this piece. I haven't given up on sending you a picture to work with ... as of this moment, my finances are devastated by the high prices and Christmas. But, I have chosen a picture and will pursue it as soon as I feel I can afford it. I hope you are enjoying the mood of the holidays, Gene ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Vicki W said...

My husband is very affected by the lack of light in the winter. Our marriage is saved by him using one of those SAD lights. Vitamin D helps him a lot too.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

She does look rather sad. I took a look at your quilts, they are fabulous.