Monday, June 26, 2023

Yes I am Still Making Quilts

Ha ha... I know that I haven't shown any of this quilt in a while.  I am sure some of you have thought "Is he still making quilts?"  Yes!  I have been working on this one for a while.  It is in three long pieces.  These will each be backed, basted and quilted before I join the three into one nice quilt for MY bed. 

Here are the pieces (what you can see of them) spread out on the bed. 
As you can see it is going to be one of my wild and colorful quilts. I make these using unused blocks, orphan blocks or pieces, scraps and occasionally a bit of yardage. 
The main rule is "make it fit together." 

Below you can see the end of one piece, using the Blue fabric that I picked to be the color to tie it all together.  Blue is one of my favorite colors so there is already some shade or hue of blue in many of the blocks. 


I love putting some random curves in the top and bottom borders.  The piece just above that is one that I used rubber stamps on with fabric paint. I also carved the rubber stamps making that bit truly original. 

Monday morning,  my Spanish language study partner texted that she couldn't do class.  So I decided to baste the center section (it is the widest section.)  I had pieced the back over the weekend in odd minutes.  I even remembered to take a couple of photos. 
To the left is the backing, while the right shows that end piece again. 
The spray baste can marks the separation of back to front. 


This second photo shows a bit more of the backing fabrics. 
I am LOVING that strip of hand dyed fabric that came from Vicki Welsh. 
It is a piece of her "waste fabrics" that you can't buy, but if you follow AND
are really lucky, you may win. I was lucky! 

I also sewed out and made a tiny quilt using the Skull embroidery that I digitized on my computer. 
I did go back to the file and change the mouth.  

The "face" is made of canvas that is applied as an applique. 
Not a great idea as it wanted to shred, but I think I got it sewed down safely. 
The eyes, ear hole and mouth are all "sketchy" embroidery.  This allows the canvas to 
peek through so that it adds some dimension -at least that was the idea. 
I forgot to change the nose hole, so it is more solid black. 
I used a lovely mottled brown fabric as the base fabric and a solid black for the backing and the "frame."  Now it is at the Post Office, ready to wind its way cross country. 




Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

The quilt fabrics are wonderful. It will look terrific when it is all together.

roentare said...

The quilt looks fitting for my winter doona here.

Vicki W said...

That's going to be such an awesome quilt!

My name is Erika. said...

Great quilting Gene. Your skull looks fantastic.

Valerie-Jael said...

Just FAB*U*LOUS! You are really clever! Valerie

Jeanna said...

Your quilt is coming together nicely. The skull piece is unique, Gene.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Ooooh - I like your skull - and your "wild and colorful" looks GREAT! "Make it fit together" - and you did - LOL - ;))