Friday, July 21, 2023

Family

Today I am just sharing some old family photos so that they are somewhere other than on my hard drive. 

First up is my Dad with his father-in-law, my grandfather. I don't think I ever saw my grandfather when he wasn't wearing a pair of overalls.

Next is some family that I never met but I like the photo. 
These are cousins from my mother's family.
The variety in the girl's dresses is what I find particularly interesting.

Here is my maternal grandmother. She was a mother of nine. 
She never learned to read or write (with the exception of signing her name) 
but she was a pretty smart woman.  And she was a quilter who did everything 
by hand with just a needle and thread - no quilt frame/hoop etc. 


And here is a pic of my Mom and her older sister. The sister was expecting her first child. 



Since there are lots of faces I am linking up with DVArtist/Nicole for the Friday Face Off





Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

19 comments:

Tom said...

...overalls were an important part of rural America. There were everyday ones and Sunday going to meetin' ones.

Iris Flavia said...

Interesting to see all those people from a time gone by. Love the pic with the overall.

Valerie-Jael said...

Great to see your ancestors. Back then the girls used to wear pretty dresses, today it's all ripped or whatever - I still prefer pretty things! Hugs, Valerie

sirkkis said...

Ooh,I love old family photos 😍 They tell of the times we don't really know the private life of those interesting days.
Thank you for sharing 🌞🌈

Christine said...

Wonderful family photos

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Interesting faces! And yes, formal education is no indication of true intelligence!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Old family photos are SO special - thanks for sharing -;))

DVArtist said...

I love these old photos of family. I have boxes full of old old photos. Some I know some I don't know. Wow, 9 kids. That was how it was back then. So now I know where you get the quilting from. LOL Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a great day today.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I like looking at old photos.

peppylady (Dora) said...

My dad and my mom dad wore overhauls. The other day I post some old photo of some distance cousins....https://peppylady.blogspot.com/2023/07/today-is-thursday-june-20-2023-this-is.html
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

roentare said...

Old family photos are just gems!

My name is Erika. said...

These are great Gene. Old family photos are not just valuable, but they really give a glimpse into the past too. As you probably already know-smile. Have a super weekend.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I really enjoyed seeing those old photos. I wish I had that old car. I'm sure it would be worth a fortune today. And of course, I enjoyed seeing glimpses of your past, too.

I got a laugh at your cousins' photo. The one girl had wild, wild hair. That was what I looked at before I looked at the dresses. Hope you have a great weekend.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

It is wonderful that you have all of these family photos and thank you for sharing them with us. I love your Grandpa's overalls and the girls with the many patterns of dress. Do you have any samples of your Grandmother's quilting that you could share ... We know now that you came to your quilting talents naturally :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Carola Bartz said...

Old family photos are so interesting and a true treasure to have. Those are the photos that live in the grab-abd-go box and best should be scanned as well and saved on an external hard drive that goes into the grab-and-go box as well. Thank you for showing them here, Gene. Perfect for Nicole's FFO.

Vicki W said...

Maternity clothes today are such a huge improvement over the tents from this era!

Jeanna said...

How exciting that you have those cherished photos. I enjoy going through our family photos. I've asked my cousins to lets scan what we have and share with each other. We'll see if that ever happens.

NatureFootstep said...

so nice to have albums to remember old relatives :)

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I love those old photos! Thank you for sharing. It is so interesting to imagine their lives. And to be thankful for ours!