Friday, July 07, 2023

Staying Creative

There are some things that I try to do on a fairly regular basis. One thing is to keep the creative juices flowing. I was watching a live stream promotion for a class that I thought might be interesting.  But to insure that it wasn't time wasted, I pulled out a pad of paper and a pen and drew some quick face sketches.   Each of the three I drew were inspired by someone in the video. None of the three look like the person that inspired them.  Getting a likeness wasn't the point.  The inspiration, the use of eyes and hands to see and create based on that inspiration - that was the point. 

The top person was inspired by the glasses one of the presenters was wearing. My perspective on it is not right, but somehow it caught the essence. 
The lower photo was inspired by the hair (the bangs, or fringe as it is called in the UK.) Then I just added face to "fill in." 


The cap worn by a participant inspired this quick sketch. 
In Spanish (at least in Mexico) that type of cap is commonly called a "gorra"
I remember that word because the cap is in sections that can be called "gores" - much like an old fashioned gored skirt.  (Do you notice that the scribble on his cap looks like the name "Danny" ?) 

Drawing these simple sketches help me when I go to create digital machine embroidery files. 
There are shapes and forms that my mind have stored away ready to use again.
This is an example (although a poor one) of how this works for me.



I am linking up with DVArtist/Nicole for the Friday Face Off


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

14 comments:

roentare said...

I love the sketches and also the last finished product

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, thank you for showing how your creativity evolves! This was really interesting!
Yes, I see Danny :-)
Not that I ever can follow you, but would you like to show/share how you create digital machine embroidery files?

Christine said...

Enjpyed reading your sources of inspiration. Interesting sketches and faces.

DVArtist said...

Hi Gene. I love this. I too do quick sketches to keep the creative flow going. I think it is something that all artists should do and I know many that do this every day. I love these faces. OH. Sending a package today. Thank you for always joining FFO and sharing your art. Have the best weekend.

My name is Erika. said...

I draw in my journal most evenings. They don't have to look like anyone either. I just want to like what I draw. And I do like what you've drawn-definitely. The point is to have fun, right? Happy weekend Gene.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sketching is a great way to be spontaneously creative!

Tom said...

...always stay creative Gene and while you are at it have a great weekend!

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your faces Gene, they are fun and spontaneous. You are very creative. Happy Friday, hugs, Valerie

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You are quite good at "quick sketching" - I love your faces - ;))

Jeanna said...

Keep those creative juices flowing, Gene!

NatureFootstep said...

doing that kind of quick ones are fun but as you write. Don´t expect it to look like what you had in front of you. It is more lika a happening, a flow.

COOL!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I'm late visiting, but life and a flood in my basement got in the way of computer time. I always love your sketches, whether they are on paper or fabric. You draw beautifully and create a great quilt, too. I am deeply impressed.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Fast sketching is fun and you did well to capture the essence of the people who inspired you. I find you machine embroidery face enchanting ... I wouldn't call it a poor example, but then we are always our own worst critics, right? Until next week, Gene ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

J C said...

I agree with your method of sketching while watching. Everything we sketch and see goes into our memory file and helps somewhere along the line, even if we don't connect it. Art every day!