Friday, July 14, 2023

For a Friend

One of my local friends was having some health issues that could be life threatening. A group of us got together and did various things to cheer that friend.  One thing that I did was to make her a covered notebook, because I know she will use it.  I asked for her favorite colors and was told Blue and Green. 
I also knew that she loves hand dyed fabrics.  So I dove into my stash of hand dyed fabrics and chose a selection of blues and greens to make the cover.  
I love the small pop of red on the front of this one. 

And here it is opened so you can see front and back.

I think it came out beautifully. I used a variegated green thread for the quilting. 
You may notice that there is a bit of purple on the back cover.  That end is actually a bit of leftover strip from a quilt top that I had been hanging onto. It worked nicely here. That bit and the lining are the only fabrics that are not hand dyed in this notebook cover.  The best part of these covers is that they fit a standard composition notebook. That means once it is full, you replace the inside notebook and start with a fresh notebook. 

This has been a crazy week so I have no new face to show. 
However, I am sharing "Lucy Prisma" again. 

                I am linking up with DVArtist/Nicole for the Friday Face Off


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

20 comments:

Tom said...

...Lucy Prisma sure is a color soul. Stay creative.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I also dye my own fabrics and I absolutely LOVE your mottled fabrics you got. It is so much more exciting than fabric that is the same throughout. And that cover is wonderful. I think you did an absolutely fabulous job. I also think it was so kind of you to make that piece for Nicole, too.

Christine said...

That is a thoughtful one of a kind gift! Nice face today

sirkkis said...

Lovely fabric with a beautiful color palette 👏🪻

Jeanna said...

I hope your friend is getting better. The notebook cover is so pretty, Gene. A thoughtful and useful gift.

Iris Flavia said...

If I may say so (as a big compliment)... you´re a very sweet and thoughtful man.
(P.S. thank you, too, for the link. Interesting machine!)
Love the red, too. Great "sign" when being sick, so spreading optimism. Hope your friend is well soon and can fill your cover with many a diary.
I like Lucy!

Valerie-Jael said...

Your died fabrics for the book cover are wonderful, and a great way to cheer someone up! Hugs, Valerie

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I like Lucy, too - and I hope your friend is feeling better. The notebook cover that you made for her is GREAT - especially with the little pop of RED on the front - ;))

DVArtist said...

Hi Gene, what a lovely gift for your friend. It will mean so much to her/him. That pop of red makes every other color pop as well. Ohhhhh I can see Lucy anytime. Thank you for joining FFO and have a fabulous weekend.

peppylady (Dora) said...

It been a while since I done any fabric dying.
I also been creative.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

roentare said...

Recently I read news articles that men in mid crisis are now worse than before. Quality relationships are the key to reduce that from happening. You are doing great to your friend.

My name is Erika. said...

Having sick friends is tough. I love the journal cover you quilted. Have a super weekend Gene.

My name is Erika. said...

Oh and I hope your friend gets better too.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a beautiful fabric cover and such a lovely, thoughtful gift!

Barwitzki said...

Wonderful...
Well done and do good... isn't it, that's what life is all about.
I wish you a lot of joy with your work... it's wonderful what you've created... Thank you.
A happy greeting to you from Viola

J C said...

How caring of you to make your friend that book cover. Its beautiful and youre right, that dash of red just makes it perfect!

Vicki W said...

You always do such thoughtful things for your friends!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

A Lovely and Thoughtful gift, Gene, and Blues and Greens (the colors of the great outdoors) are also my favorites. So, tweak my memory ... does Lucy have a story? Hope you can find a cool spot this HOT July ... be well, Gene :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Jennifer said...

You're such a good friend to have.

NatureFootstep said...

that is beautiful. I bet your friend loves it!