Saturday, July 22, 2023

Quilting - Embrace the Oops

I know that many people get uptight about their free-motion quilting because of small mistakes. Folks, I make small mistakes pretty much every time I sit down to quilt.  Do I let it bother me?  In truth, it used to bother me.  Now, I embrace the "oops" and carry on. Unless the tension is bad or there are "eyelashes" on the back, I just leave it and keep going.   

Yes, I will show you a mistake. Why not, I don't love it but I said "That, right there,  is something that shows this was guided by human hands!" 
What happened? I lost my path and got a variation.  It is a flower and not all flowers are perfect.
Go on, go outside and check them.  Are you back yet? Ha ha.  
And if you make a mistake -embrace the Oops - maybe repeat it a few times and then it looks like you meant to do it. 

Sometimes, I do simple quilting patterns that give me a rest break in a section.  This one in the dark fabric is super easy. It is a "straight" line (sorta straight anyway) and a curvy line. You can do variations on this by using 2 straight, 1 curvy OR two curvy and one straight OR make up your own variations. 
You don't have to be consistent with it either.  The quilt gets quilted and the variety adds a bit of interest, especially if you are doing it on the entire quilt.  As I was typing this I realized that if you were doing a full quilt with just this idea you could alternate straight into curvy on a single line. Then alternate the next line with the opposite of the first one. OR line up 2 (or 3) the same and then do one all curvy (or straight) and make it even more interesting.  Okay, so now you see a bit how my peculiar mind works. 

If you are looking closely, you will see that each section is a bit (or a lot) different than the one next to it.  One of my rules is to do a section in curves and use straight lines in the next section.  Of course, I can break that rule if I want to break it. As long as the entire quilt gets quilted I am happy. 



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

6 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

"Embrace the Oops" is good advice! "Oops" make quilting interesting - and I have made some very interesting quilts - LOL - ;))

Valerie-Jael said...

I love your quilts, so arty and different! Valerie

roentare said...

You are an expert in making quilts

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Oops just means that we are human. Nice human touches.

Jeanna said...

That is a GREAT philosophy, Gene. I'm going to embrace the OOPs, not just in my crafting but in other areas as well.

DVArtist said...

Errrgggg... I wrote a comment and microsoft edge hiccupped and it is now lost. I said something like I never see mistakes in your art. My tribe teaches that one must always make a mistake as not to feel above Earth Maker. BTW. I will be wearing the Voodoo hat and will sell it if someone wants to pay the price. LOL Have a great evening.