Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Paper Piecing Celtic Sunrise

Well folks, I am going to a guild meeting next week. (you listening Norma?) I understand that there is a block lotto using this block I am making. The winner gets all the blocks. How fun is that? Also, there is a FQ lotto - the theme is GREEN- so I will be taking a green fat quarter and just see if I can start a green stash - if I win. LOL.
So here is the beginning of it. I have three sections completed, two are joined already.   Then I have an "oh crap" piece.  See that place I circled and drew and arrow to?  Yup,  see that white bit of paper?  That green fabric should have covered that.  It didn't. So "oh crap!"  I will have to do that bit again.
Now....here is the GREAT part of paper piecing.  See the NICE join below where the green stripes form a perfect corner.  I am doubtful that I could do that without paper piecing it.  '
The whole block for this is online at Quilters Cache - Celtic Sunrise



I kinda hope I win this one.  But as a first timer, I will feel awkward if I do.  I was warned that probably not many of the guild will do this.  Some of them don't do paper piecing.  (and looking at the "oh crap" piece, maybe I shouldn't either! LOL)
Now I am off to work on this block some more.  


Update:
I did some more and it really didn't work out. When I joined the pieces somehow the box didn't make it to square. One corner of it is great and the other is off almost a quarter inch.   I would be ashamed to take it.   
"oh crap"

By the way Bozzy is celebrating!  She is giving away a $50 gift cert to her ebay store.  go see her now!

9 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

I did my first paper piecing last fall, and swore at those little pieces of fabric more than I can say! Your piece turned out beautifully after your 'oh crap' moment.

Sarah said...

I think this is just part of paper piecing. It happened to me too.

Pat said...

Don't give up on paper piecing just because you started with one that was probably a bit too difficult as a first attempt. You can do it....just try a simpler paper-pieced item next time.

Barb said...

don't you just hate it when that happens....I am not a friend to paper piecing....

Rhonda said...

Gene, keep practicing...it will get better...you can do this...yes you can!!! Did that peep talk help?
Take care.

Needled Mom said...

I love the accuracy of paper piecing. Keep at it.

Micki said...

You know how much I love paper piecing! Stick with it, and you will love it too...Gives you the most accurate blocks ever!
Micki

Tangos Treasures said...

LOL glad I'm not the only one who has the oh crap piece!! Love the colors!

Petit Design Co. said...

well you're doing better than I am since I haven't even attempted the block. Can't wait to "meet" you (officially and all)