Monday, March 01, 2010

The Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt Along is started!

I had written a long post for this and Blogger ATE it.  ARRRRGHHHHH.
So here is my first block in the Moose on the Porch Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt Along.

All my corners match up pretty well.  I am happy with this block.

I won a Jelly Roll for this quilt along, but it isn't here yet.  So I had to improvise this block.  I grabbed a strip from another roll that looks to me like it will go okay with the one I am getting. (That is the red with white curliques)  The "white" is actually heavy muslin that I am using for the background fabric.

For the center 9-patch she said to use 9 different jelly roll strip pieces OR two and alternate colors.  As you can see, I didn't exactly do either.  I had a few pieces from another jelly roll project that looked like the color family, so I used what was there. I think it looks great. I love to improvise.

Speaking of improvising, that reminds me of my wonderful cruise in January.  There was an improv troop from Second City Chicago as part of the ship's entertainment.   One performance they asked for two volunteers.  Guess who was picked.  Yep, me.   So here is a picture of me along with Jennifer Bascom from Second City (i put the link so you can read about her) I think she is a really funny lady, she reminds me of Lily Tomlin in her style of humor.  I could see her ending up on Saturday Night Live  sometime soon.  Jenn, if you are reading this, I would love to be on SNL with you!

Okay so now y'all know my deep dark secret, I am a ham! I love a spotlight and a chance to make someone laugh. (does that shirt make me look fat?)

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

Oh boy, I the first to comment......love your block Gene and you wonderful ham cruise story. Take care.

Pat said...

So what exactly did you DO in that show on the cruise ship??? I like your first block. I can't do my whole block yet, because I need to go and buy my fabric for the sashing and background of the blocks. I will put the center 9-patch together and get to the quilt shop tomorrow for the rest of the fabric.

Barb said...

Your Jelly roll block looks wonderful!!

Simone de Klerk said...

I want to finish my first blog today. Yours is beautiful. I love the balance in the 9-patch!

ooglebloops said...

No clip of your cruise ship debut???? :>)
Love the quilt and the colors!!

Anonymous said...

I'm giggling a little bit because it seems you are taking part in something that's not usually like you, yet you've made it your own. Following instructions -- not you, then improvising -- yes that's you. This block is great, perfect points and so symmetrical. Your end result will be the most unique of all, I'm sure, but don't lose yourself along the way (grin)!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I hate when that happens and it always happens when I am in a hurry and just typed a cool post that then goes "poof"! I love to improvise and make project my own. Your cruise ship story made me chuckle.....so, "what happens on a cruise ship stays on a cruise ship"?!! :-)

Joanne Lendaro said...

YOu are too funny!! Thanks for the laugh this a.m. and love the block!!