Sunday, February 28, 2010

Running with Neptune

My dear friend Barb, posted a tutorial on using a Honey Bun to make a table runner.  Actually that takes you to her blog with a link to where she posted the tutorial. Don't worry, it is easy to find.
I had a Honey Bun in "Neptune" by Tula Pink.  Yep, some of my favorite colors -Aqua (blue) and red.   I just won a Jelly Roll in "Simple Abundance" which is also aqua and red so I decided that I could use the Honey Bun for this.  (Oh, a shout out and a big Thanks to Crazy Old Ladies Quilts for the jelly roll win!!!)

So here is my top for the table runner.  I am probably going to add the fusible applique in some fashion. I am sure I will change it up a bit - Just like I did on this.  I wanted to make the borders a little wider, so I grabbed a couple of leftover jelly roll strips from another line, in another brand, and did the inner borders a bit wider.  I must say that the colors really worked well with the Neptune.


This isn't as unsquare as it looks in this picture.  I really need a design wall to put things on to photograph.  Laying it on the floor and trying to get a shot that isn't skewed --well it just doesn't work all that well.
Barb appliqued flowers and hearts on hers, any suggestions what I might applique on mine?

10 comments:

Barb said...

You are awesome Gene!! Looks great!

By the way, I saw you win with Crazy Old Ladies...and just shook my head, thinking, there he goes again.....you are so lucky!!

BROOKE said...

Applique Ideas: I was thinking feathers and chickens but not sure how you'd get that it was feathers unless the fabric was already feathers? How about a horse? A fish? A tree?

Lindi said...

Maybe it's because I've been watching the Winter Olympics, but Pine trees spring to mind!

Tangos Treasures said...

Looks good!! How about some little birds??

LINDA BYLSMA said...

I vote for stars, since you are such a steller guy!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't suggest adding anything, especially something fusible (I just don't like using glue in any form). I think adding more would take away from (perhaps even fight with) your unique and original "Art by Gene" design, which is busy in it's own right. This piece is *so you* just as it is. I especially like the way you added the borders -- sort of log cabin style.

Joanne Lendaro said...

Geez!! Between you and Barb, I don't know who gets more done?! Can't keep up with you two!! Great project!!

Rhonda said...

Way to go Gene! Maybe place a cup of something with whisps of steams.....just a thought!

Needled Mom said...

It looks wonderful, Gene.

Greg said...

Nice work Gene.. As for appliqué ideas, how 'bout a self portrait? That would make it very unique and original!