Saturday, February 06, 2010

A table topper -What is chocolate cake?

What a day.  I started making a table topper using a quilt as you go method.  This was a method I had not used before.  I got two blocks done and hated  it. - the method that is.  The blocks were tossed into the trash can.
I had seen a cute topper on Linda's Blog So I decided to 'copy and change' one of hers. What? Me, follow a pattern? Hardly! I try really I do...but well....I can't seem to rein myself in.

So, I took some charm squares, some yardage and went at it.
Here is the front.




Not perfectly square....cause I oop'sed a couple of times.

And here is the back.





I like it... flaws and all.

Now about the cake:
Anita and her husband have an issue about chocolate cake. You will have to read a couple of her posts to find out about it. BUT she is having a giveaway too. There are three great prizes- What are you waiting for Go enter
Oh, but leave a comment for me before you go!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

love your table topper and the back.......

FabricFascination said...

Cute!

And I agree that if a method is not fun, it should be scrapped. It is not worth my time to finish.

Anonymous said...

The front is cleverly laid out. I know you weren't going for an image, but I see window panes. And the back is so ummmmm -- Black!

Cora said...

Great job Gene! My first thought was church window.

LINDA BYLSMA said...

I know you used your stash cuz I recognize some of the fabric from the back. Glad you had fun.

Rae Ann said...

Gene ~ You did a great job and I love your design. Keep up the good work!

Stephanie Hughes said...

Gene, I love the blue and yellow and flaws are what make them all look handmade! Great job! Steph

Anonymous said...

Great table topper, I especially like the design created by the sashing fabric being taken into the block corners.

Tangos Treasures said...

Cute table topper, both sides are grat!
Off to see about some chocolate cake! LOL

Tangos Treasures said...

Really I can spell great! LOL

Vesuviusmama said...

Very nice. You know, patterns are just suggestions, guidelines, a starting point - at least that's how I view them.

sewfunquilts said...

Some of the "quilt as you go" ideas are trash, and you did the right thing.
Have fun "doing it your way".

Barb said...

What a cute topper...the back is wonderful.

Rhonda said...

Gene, you sound so much like me......follow directions to the letter....not hardly. Your tablerunner looks great!!!