Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Another Finished Quilt and a Movie Recommendation.

I have been a little bit lazy lately.  I haven't been sewing much.  I haven't painted anything. Just lazy!
But I did get the inspiration to finish my Ginger jar quilt.  I decided to not add any borders but leave it as a smaller quilt.   Here is a picture of some of the finished quilt.

It was just a top when I started on it again.  So this past weekend, I got it layered into the quilt sandwich. This next picture shows the backing.  I found this in my stash.  I didn't even know I had this piece of fabric. However, it fit so nicely with the background of the front of the quilt that I used it happily.  (Yep, a teeny bit of stash-BUSTING) And the binding is a plain caramel colored fabric. -Again from my stash!


















Here is a confession for you.  I love to watch a movie while I am free motion quilting.  While  quilting on this one the movie of choice was "Songcatcher"   It stars Janet McTeer, Aiden Quinn, and Emmy Rossum.  I had seen it several years ago, but when a friend offered it to me, I jumped at the chance to see it again.
As you may guess by the title, it is about music. More specifically, it is about the Scots-Irish music in the Appalachian mountains.   As you know I am learning to play the penny whistle. (an instrument directly from that same musical tradition)  So you can see how I could love this movie.  This movie was mainly a sleeper; most people never even heard of it.  It is rich in story and music.  I give it a BIG thumbs up.

Oh and if you didn't know I am learning penny whistle, you can see my two videos on my YouTube Channel

15 comments:

ooglebloops said...

Beautiful job!! And thanks for the movie suggestion - I'm gonna see if Netflix carries it!!

Pat said...

Your ginger jar quilt looks lovely. I was just thinking I should do more work on mine.

Barb said...

Love it!!!!

Unknown said...

It looks great! Love it!

Tangos Treasures said...

Looks fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

Your ginger jars look great - well done.

Joanne Lendaro said...

How cool it that? To actually FINISH a project using everything from your stash!! Kudos!! Oh, and love the ginger jars too!

Anonymous said...

Ooops...lost my comment. Trying again -- this is a great ginger jar quilt! The backing is perfect, and I love your crinkly look. I strive for that too.

sewfunquilts said...

The fabrics you chose for the jars.....perfect! AND...you're not lazy. You are soooo multi-talented.

Anonymous said...

That movie was really good. It's been awhile since I've seen it.

Excellent quilt!

www.welovequilting.com said...

Gene. I love that quilt. BEAUTIFUL... You did a great color selection.. I want that pattern..

Next YES NETFLIX has that movie.. I love it.. I could watch it again and again.
Show us the quilt after you totally finish it.. And yes I saw your cute self on the youtube with the penny whistle. GOOD JOB on that also.

Unknown said...

it is so pretty and I love the backing and the quilting...I will have to check out this movie...I love the obscure sleepers anyway!!!!

Cora said...

Gene, That Ginger Jar Quilt is beautiful. Inspiring!! Who's the pattern by? I'd love to make this one.

Vesuviusmama said...

The quilt looks great! I'm impressed that it went from top to bound quilt in one day. Way to go!

Kaye said...

You sure are busy, no wonder you are making mistakes! Love the ginger jars