Saturday, February 13, 2010

I came, I sewed, I really messed it up

Hello, welcome to the day of the humility block.  I found a template that let me print out a sheet to make half square triangles(HSTs.) It made several and they were easy to do.  Great now, I have all these one and seven-eighths inch HSTs and no plan to use them.  
What to do?  To the internet to see some blocks made with HSTs.  


Ooooh here is a nice simple traditional block. It is a classic.  I like it too.  Great! So  I cut out some squares the same size to piece this block. 
"Can you look at this?"  comes a wail from the other room while I am in the middle of piecing it.  Okay, I am tending a sick person, so I go to see. I come back and grab the pieces and start sewing again. OOPS, I messed that up.  Well, I kinda like it....now I will make another to match it.  I start sewing. 


"Can you do _____ for me?" I stop and do ____ for the sick one. I come back grab the pieces and start sewing again.  Well @#$#$#!%##$!~&°~¨~@@!!$.  I messed up again!  Hey, why is the air in here so blue?  (sorry, I think I got ticked off that I messed it up twice. )
I looked at the blocks and said "Hmmmph! I guess that traditional piecing just isn't my bag. At least it isn't today."  
So I joined the two  squirrelly blocks and took a picture. 
Can you guess the block I was going for? Don't feel bad...these look nothing like it. 





However I think this is cute and interesting enough that I can make something and use it in it.  Did you guess yet? 


(jeopardy theme plays --)


----


----
-
---
-
--
-
-





I was trying to make a Churn Dash.  Pathetic huh?

14 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahahaha, that was "table smacking" funny...haha I love it. It looks like something I'd let Evan sew together. hahahaha, you crack me up! Please take care of that sick one. goodness...

Rhonda said...

Alrighty then Gene.......I'm guessing you did this before breakfast.....LOL.....it's certainly fixable...right!

Petit Design Co. said...

LOL, we all have those days!

luv2quilt2 said...

Hey, that looks like some of my piecing!

Lindi said...

Dash it! So now you're all churned up! lol

Rachel said...

Well, it is the 13th... maybe that explains our sewing woes today!

Better luck tomorrow for both of us. Me, I'm going to be spending the rest of the night UNpicking. Bah!

Sue said...

Lots of great inventions were originally mistakes. I think you just invented a new block- the humility block! I wonder what a bunch of them would look like together.

Thanks for being brave enough to let us know we aren't the only ones who do things like this!

Sarah said...

Ha ha that's an awesome screw up! Got seam rippers?

quiltmom anna said...

It certainly is an original design- Some days one is not meant to sew - too many distractions LOL
Hope tomorrow is a better day...
Regards,
Anna

Anonymous said...

Interesting interpretation of churn dash - Gene Picasso is it now? *LOL* Well who says that all traditional blocks have already been created, in 100 years time what is invented now will be considered traditional and it has to start somewhere - with the Humility Block :)

Tangos Treasures said...

Tee hee your funny!! Hope your sick one feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

Awe, I hate interruptions when I am sewing. Then I get back to it and lost my needle, then my little scissors. Sorry it didn't turn out for ya. But your post make it a great story. Hey not all is lost, if it was a game of what can this be now I would turn the material so the square on the left is now on top and it looks like a square headed snowman;)

Vesuviusmama said...

I laughed out loud - that looks NOTHING like Churn Dash! Bless you for sharing your mistakes with us!

Anonymous said...

Don't feel too bad, I DID guess "churn dash" before scrolling down! So, contrary to your post, it must have looked something like it. I'm certain you will find a creative use for it!