Sunday, December 19, 2010

Design Idea - Electric Quilt

A few weeks ago, I saw a picture of a quilt that struck me.  It is really a simple design, however it looks like there are blocks set on point.  Setting blocks on point is scary to  a newbie quilter.  While I am past being scared by it, maybe some of my readers aren't.
First the picture:

Then the explanation:
There are two simple blocks in this design.  A quarter square triangle and a nine patch.  The trick is to alternate the direction of the quarter square blocks in each row.  That makes the square that appears to be on point be solid. If you put them all the same direction your quilt will look like this:
Not nearly as effective, it is?  I did use the dark blue in all of my nine patches (remember this is just done in EQ5, I have NOT made this quilt - yet)  However, you could alternate those also: 
That gives more contrast in all the blocks, I also alternated the center of the 9 patch in this one too.  Honestly the first one shown is easiest to make. Why, you can speed piece the 9 patch blocks by making strip sets and sub-dividing them.  Also, I like the way the first one makes the corner and center square of the nine patch seem to float in the dark "on point" blocks. 
If you wanted to get really wild with this, you could do applique blocks instead of the nine patches.  Go ahead and see what YOU  can come up with.  Let your imagination run free! 



9 comments:

quiltingnana said...

I love to set squares on point...your idea is great

Ebony Love said...

Very clever, Gene! You should make it!

Petit Design Co. said...

applique this? only if I were a glutton for punishment. That would be way too much work. I love the first version best

Twisted Quilts said...

I am always intrigued by simple designs. With the right fabric choices they look far from simple. I love the way this looks.

sewfunquilts said...

Great ideas, Gene. Simple is always better.

SewCalGal said...

I love blocks set on point. And certainly love using EQ to play with quilt designs, colors & fabrics. Your design would make a beautiful quilt. Great job Gene.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Well that took me a minute, but I like it! =) Thank you for the idea...I've got to get busy this new year...and see what I come up with! =)

Barb said...

that is just great Gene....I just love it!!

Miss Hillbilly said...

I too like the first the best. I love your simple idea to make it look on point!