Monday, December 20, 2010

Last Minute Gifts

Wow, I really got down to the wire this time.  Since Dad's surgery took up a good bit of the time I had planned to make some gifts, I got really behind.  I was also very distracted too.  I had planned to make hot pads to place on tables and matching pot holders for some of my co-workers.  However, getting so close to the wire I am only managing the hot pads.  
I love a nice hot pad to put down when I have a dish that is too hot for the table.  I far prefer them to trivets.  With trivets, I am always sure that the dish will get unbalanced and slide off an edge and spill.  I have seen it happen.  Maybe I am just clumsy. Ha ha.  Still I love a hot pad for the table.
For these I used some sample blocks I made quite a while back.  I decided that it would give me a jump start on making them.     They have a layer of cotton batting and a layer of Insul-Bright to reflect the heat.

These are roughly 12" square and totally imperfect.  I did different quilting patterns on each of them.

While I was sewing them, I watched a movie.  I had really avoided watching this one due to the subject matter of mental illness.  The film is "A Beautiful Mind" and it deals with schizophrenia.  I was surprised at how well it was handled and also by how much I learned from it.  You see, in my early thirties, I worked in a business office at a state mental hospital.  I met and dealt with some of the patients.  It was mostly an enjoyable job due to my great co-workers. But it could be stressful.  Watching this film made me think of some of the people I saw there.  I wish I had understood then what this film showed me about their "realities."  We should always be kind to people, even though they seem different. We never know the struggles they are facing.  

Peace be with you.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like you squares / hot holders?
I agree about mental illness. It doesn't make them any less of a human being! They just have a different understanding/reality then some in the 'normal' world. LOL...what is normal anyways?!!!

Barb said...

Your pot holders are great. I also worried about dishes falling off trivets...

Unknown said...

oh, I really want to see this movie...with E's "problems" it could give me an insight. My mom fusses when I watch stuff like that, cause usually it makes me worry more and wonder what he'll be like when he's older, and if he'll be able to live on his on. I know......TMI. I wished we lived closer, you could give me tips.

Unknown said...

oh my gosh, I tried to number my comments and could not figure it out, I was afraid to mess with the html or whatever it is codes, you want to do that too for me? i'll send you a nice gift of something

Tangos Treasures said...

Nice hot pads! I too worry about the dishes falling off!
I haven't seen that movie.

Cindy said...

Everyone can always use hotpads and homemade ones, like your pretty ones, are simply the best.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Great hotpads. Imperfection just makes them more special as they are a unique piece of art from you! "A Beautiful Mind" was a wonderfully done movie. It lets us all see what others may be dealing with on a regular basis, both the person with the schizophrenia and those caring for that person too.

Miss Hillbilly said...

I have seen the movie. I am not much of a tv or movie fan but I do like things that seem to get at my heart. My husband works for the state and had a chance to transfer to a mental institution. He would have been in the offices as well, but he opted to stick with the prison system. Either way, I think those types of jobs are eye openers that every one is human, we all have problems. Some are just different than others.

Unknown said...

Love this idea! I have some blocks lying around that I really love, but wasn't sure what to do with. Now I know! Can you say "stocking stuffers!?" Thanks, Gene!
I have a funny story about a lovely gentleman that I know, named Alva, who happens to be schizophrenic. One day, a few years back, Alva's parents were getting ready to entertain his brother's new in-laws at their home. Alva's mother handed him his meds and said, "Now, Alva, we all love you very much, but today is NOT the day to be Jesus!" I only tell this story because Alva tells it on himself all the time and we all get a great laugh from it. Mental illness is just that, an illness, but it doesn't mean that people who suffer with it cannot laugh from time to time at their own predicament.
PS. I have added you to my blogs that I love on my webpage. I'm sorry to say, it probably won't help increase traffic to yours as I seem to be the only person who reads my blog! Oh, well, if anybody should stumble upon it, you will be featured prominently!

sewfunquilts said...

I like hot pads too and yours are great. What a terrific idea for co-workers.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Truer words were never spoken Gene!

Smiles,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

These hot pads are real eye-catchers, what a great idea! They are just so pretty!!
"A Beautiful Mind" is worth watching more than once. Also, the sound track is a lovely album.
John Nash still lives in Princeton, something I think about whenever I'm in that town.

Sarah said...

Love your potholders! Merry Christmas to you and Dave :)