Saturday, October 22, 2011

The seed are growing

Those seeds of a quilt I showed you in the last post have grown. They have really started looking like they could grow into a quilt.


They have grown into three long pieces that look like they are related.  I wonder? What if I pushed them together?
Yes, they do look like a happy family.  This is my version of what is commonly called a "Chinese Coins" quilt.   I did columns of strips in various widths.  The widths of the coin strips are 3", 4", 5", 6" and 7".  I put the 5" in the middle and used the others as pairs that add up to 10 (7 and 3--4 and 6) with the widest on the outside. This gives it a balance even though it doesn't "match."   It is a bit quirky- like I am. Ha ha. 
I will back and quilt each of the three sections and then join the with thin strips. These long skinny pieces will be great for using up odd strips of batting.  The great part is that they will be joined when I join the quilt - I don't have to do it beforehand.  Plus I won't have to wrestle the entire quilt through the machine. This allows me to play with some more intricate free motion quilting on a larger quilt. 


I hope you are having a great weekend.  I hope your creativity is flowing and that peace is abundant in your life. 

11 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

You quilt is going to be amazing!! A little quirkiness is what makes you so special!! I look forward to seeing your machine quilting :)

Barb said...

You are doing fast work, love how it is turning out!!!

Betsy said...

Gene, I like this version of chinese coins.
Very interesting and unique.

Pat said...

Great way to do a fun variation on a Chinese coin quilt. I also was intrigued with the way you presented the photo...and at first glance, I thought you were making a ROUND quilt!!! (Actually, I'd not be surprised if someday you made a round one!!! :) )

Barbara said...

I love that they are in various widths. It's striking and has your quirkiness all over it!

Royce said...

Really like your version of the Chinese Coins. The blue vertical strips are a great choice and really pulls it all together so well. I really like the idea of quilting as you go and yes it's much better than what I call wrestling an octopus.

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I like your chinese coins, especially the scrappiness in the colors! I haven't tried quilt as you go yet, that's going on my Bucket List.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Excellent idea Gene!!! I like the idea of putting it together in strips...I have the courage for quilting smaller strips but not so much for a larger quilt. Thanks!!!

As for the Peace in my life...I forgot what that is entirely...send some my way..pretty please :)

Smiles,
Kelly

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Looks great Gene, I like the strips!
Quilting by the River

Rhonda said...

Looks great Gene. Sorry I haven't been around lately... life is squarely in my way.... sigh!

Nicole said...

I like a quirky quilt :) Thanks so much for your comment. I'm so jealous that you got a featherweight. I need to start watching for one on ebay. I've heard that they have come down a ton in price. I remember when they first became popular again they were like 700 dollars. Congrats!