Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Stairsteps Quilt-The Tutorial

Based on reader comments, I have decided to add a tutorial for this quilt.  (This does not include instructions for the borders; I used scraps for the border and "made it work.")

The original idea came to me as I was awakening from an afternoon nap (a rarity for me.)



The idea was this: What if I did a "disappearing 9 patch" but instead of using all patches, I replaced the center row with a solid piece of fabric? First I did a small paper quilt block to test it. I liked how it came out. So I drafted it in Electric Quilt - with a small error. I didn't discover the error until I started sewing the blocks. Lucky for me it didn't make the quilt any less successful.
Let's start:

First take some 5" squares of fabric (I used packaged pre-cuts - you can certainly cut your own if desired.)


Choose a fabric for the stair steps. (I am calling the yellow zigzags "stair steps") Cut strips that are 5" wide by 14" long. (you save an inch in length because it doesn't have seams!)

Sew three of the five inch squares in a together in a row, Then sew three more of the five inch squares in a together in a row. Take these to the ironing board and press the seams all one direction.
Sew one set of three to the length of the 14" strip, sew the other set to the other side.

It should look like this:


Press the long seams all one direction.
Now you are ready to cut this block up.


First, using the center squares, cut up the middle. I measure 2 1/4" from the seam. (Remember after sewing the three squares together that middle one is now 4 1/2" wide- half of that is 2 1/4")

Now cut up the center of the solid strip -again measuring 2 1/4" from that seam line.



Now rotate the pieces into this configuration. (Make your background strips go the same way as my yellow strips!)
Now you will sew it together this way. Cool huh? I am enjoying my "stair step" quilt block. I need to get this quilt finished so I can start on something else!


If you make one of these I would love to see it. AND if you play with the blocks and make a different design, I would love it if you shared it with me.




5 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Awesome!!

Quilting_Chris said...

Thanks Gene for doing the tutorial. I know you were on the fence but I am glad you tipped to this side.

Unknown said...

Love it, Gene! Thanks so much!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Very cool! Thanks!

Pat said...

Very good tutorial.....would like to try this at some point...just not sure when I'll get to it.