Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Finish and a Plan

On Saturday, I finally got the mojo to sit at the sewing machine after the less than spectacular sales at the show.  So I took leftover pieces of binding strips from various other projects and made a fun scrappy binding for the baby quilt.  I am beginning to think that I really like scrappy bindings.  There are four different fabrics in this bias binding.
Finished!
I sewed this binding to the back with the walking foot first. Then I ironed it to the front. I sewed it to the front using the walking foot also. It is really so much faster that way.

Now I have a plan for Mom's Christmas present.  I have mentioned before that I am making a quilted cover for her headboard. I plan to add three tabs at the top to to attach it to the headboard.
Friday night I took pictures of fabric and sat with Electric Quilt 7 and played.  I imported my less than great pictures into EQ7 and used them to help design it.
Here is a picture exported from EQ7:
The floral fabric is (I think) a Samoan print. I will (attempt to) fussy cut the floral pattern so it joins into one nice ribbon of flowers. I am using the burgundy because it is a color she mentioned that would look good with the room. (and I concur.) The other is a rich yellow/gold with colored squares on it. Yellow is Mom's favorite color, so it was an easy choice.  Plus it looks great next to the other fabrics. (Yes, better than this picture. LOL)
I plan to use Floriani Stitch N Shape as the "batting" for this. It has a firm texture and holds its shape nicely.  The roll I bought has fusible on one side. So I will fuse the front onto it.  It also stitches nicely. I have used it for a couple of other projects and I really love it.  It comes in non-fusible, with fusible on one side or with fusible on both sides. I wish I had bought the roll with fusible on both sides.  Mom always said "Live and learn."  I hope this goes well, I am pretty sure she will love it.

FYI  Kelly at IHAN has Stitch N Shape with fusible on both sides . She also has the non-fusible Stitch N Shape.

Okay...surprise!  The plan is nearly a finish too.  I worked on it a lot on Saturday and all I have to do is sneak in and do a "fitting" to be sure it will hang right.  Then I can attach the hangers and buttons.
Wanna see?  Of course you do.

11 comments:

Dot Moore said...

Your Mom is going to love this and you have given me an idea for my guest room that I am in the process of trying to create.

ooglebloops said...

Lucky mom!!!
Don't be depressed with less than wonderful sales at the show. The economy is just killing discretionary buying all across the board. It's no reflection on your fabulous work and creativity!!! :>)

sewfunquilts said...

Your bindings and mitered corners are looking sharp now! Congrats on your progress!

Your Mom's headboard cover is beautiful! Great job.

Barb said...

Look n good.....

Barbara said...

I also love scrappy bindings. Those words "on the bias" have yet to enter my vocabulary, however. Lol the headboard will be awesome!

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

Wow Gene, you really did a great job on your mom's cover, and so quickly! I know she'll love it. Now... where's that matching quilt??

Great idea for the scrappy binding, it definitely adds a little extra something to the quilt!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I'm so impressed with your design for the headboard Gene....it is just great! I bet she will be absolutely floored and amazed...I know I would be.

Scrappy bindings are fun..I've seen quite a few lately and I like how they look.

Thanks for the shout out too...that was very kind of you :)

Kelly

Linda said...

That is going to be such a great gift! Yes, we want to see it!

Anonymous said...

Looks great Gene!! I bet she loves it!

Vicki H. said...

Very nice and i think that it will be loved. This is the slowest our little long arming business has been since we started. I think people are just trying to get by. I am thankful that I can't still quilt and finish things because it is expensive!

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow!! I love it!! I'm sure she will too!!