Saturday, November 03, 2012

Oooh Oooh...Baby Baby

After several days of not sewing, I finally got back in the groove today. Other things in life have taken up my evenings when I normally sew. Today has been wonderful.  The baby quilt is now backed and quilted and all in one piece.
I have read every day of Petite Design Co.'s 31 Days of Walking Foot Quilting. So I was ready to quilt this with my walking foot.   I started with the idea of straight lines - but where is the thingy that attaches to the walking foot to use as a guide?  Hmmmmmm.. so I tried it without it.  Ha ha.  I have some organic lines that aren't very straight.  Those run side to side on the quilt.  Then I crossed those with wavy lines from the top of each section to the bottom of the section.   Not bad, not bad at all.  See:
I also had to avoid quilting over the applique embroidery designs.   So there are some interesting lines in the quilting.  Ha ha.
I used leftover pieces along with some other pieces I had for the backing. I love the planned randomness of it.
That is straighter than it looks in the cropped picture.  There was an extra row of blocks (top center) that was leftover.  I had one extra piece of the yellow sashing, so I sewed it to a red strip and the cut those into sections the same length as the two extra blue blocks. I added extra strips of blue to it and made that row just above the bottom row.
How do I "plan" the backs?  I am glad someone asked that in an email. I take the section of the quilt and lay it face down on the floor.  Then I take the pieces I am hoping to use and put them together sort of like a jigsaw puzzle until I get something I like. Then I take a small section at a time to the sewing machine and start putting it together.  I always make the back pieces bigger than the top so I have some wiggle room.  I think it works pretty well.

Now I have to decide on binding.  I was thinking "red" but I have several pieces of leftover binding from various other quilts.  So I may make a scrappy binding.  What do you think?

Oh yes,  I am in the Blogger's Quilt Festival at Amy'sCreative Side.  My Quilt is number 280.  I would love it if you voted for me.

14 comments:

Pat said...

Scrappy might be more fun than red for the binding, but the red binding would make the dogs "pop". Either way, it will be great!

Petit Design Co. said...

I actually like the straight with wavy lines, it's kinda cool.

Ha ha, I always "loose" my machine accessories in my room. Just yesterday I lost a baggie with bobbins. I had it one minute and then I couldn't find them. They still haven't popped up. Not sure where I set them down.

Petit Design Co. said...

oh, and thanks for the shout out my friend!

Unknown said...

I just ordered the dog die.....

Tangos Treasures said...

Looks great!!!!

Rhonda said...

The quilt looks great and the quilting looks wonderful from here!

Barb said...

I love your quilt....and glad you were able to get back in the sewing room again!

Beth said...

The embroidery on the blocks is adorable. Quilting looks good to me. Great little quilt.
Sew on!

sewfunquilts said...

Terrific quilt for a baby! Love the appliques! Bet you had a lot of fun quilting it like that.

Kate Brown said...

They are going to love this, its adorable!!

JJ said...

I think it turned out great. Your quilts have such a feeling of comfort, that reminds me of my grandmothers. Maybe it is the flavor of the south, who knows.

Snoodles said...

I always love those scrappy backs. You did a great job - I bet they'll love it!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Looks great Gene and love your scrappy backing! I think red binding would look great with the front of your quilt.....scrappy for the back :) Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Lyndsey said...

I love your quilt and the quilting looks great. I think red binding would be fun but scrappy would also work well. Thanks for sharing.