Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Another Hand Stitched Work

I suppose I should say that this is machine AND hand stitched.  I have been working on this piece off and on for quite some time. I believe that I started it in August of  this year (2012.)   It is now near completion.  Last night I thought it was completed...but in the strong morning light, I found places that need tweaking.
If you have been reading my blog long enough,  you may remember that this is fabric that I hand-dyed.  The light part in the center is not as "glaring" in person.  There is also a lot of texture from the quilting.
This was quilted over the last two nights while I watched the conclusion of a mini-series and a movie. The quilting is rather dense.  I would love to quilt an entire quilt this way, but it would take seemingly forever.  Ha ha, I am typically not that patient.
In the USA, this is the week of Thanksgiving.  Tonight or tomorrow morning I will be making a couple of dishes to take to the gathering at my mother's house. I will also be going early to help her finish things Last night I was there wrestling with the turkey - I hope it finished thawing properly and is ready for her to cook today.  
I realize that I have many things to be thankful for and if you are reading this, you do also.  For you see, you have vision, access to the internet, and electricity in some form.  There are so many things to be thankful for. Driving this morning I saw a glorious yellow tree.   I thought "The color yellow is reason enough to be thankful and to celebrate." Think about the things you pass every day that are reason to be thankful and to celebrate.  Rejoice in those things and you fill find that your life is suddenly better and more fulfilling.
Peace be with you,

10 comments:

Barb said...

You are one amazing talent (artist)...I love this and the stitching. Your hand dye is wonderful.

Have a wonderful time with your mom and family! Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Glen! Hope that turkey is really tasty tomorrow!

Love your stitching work!~ Will you frame it?

Barbara said...

This is a work of art which deserves to be under glass that will protect it from fading. It has turned out great, one of a kind!
Yup, stopping to smell the the roses is good advice especially for Thanksgiving. There is so much to be grateful for right under our noses. Thanks for the reminder! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family too!

Jodi said...

Gene, what a lovely piece of art, and lovely sentiments. I will keep all that in mind, even now, as I am thankful that I have a job (which I am on a break right now and able to look at a few blogs), and my fingers work so that I am able to type, and I recently had breakfast, and came from a nice warm home, with my 23-yr-old son there, safe in his bed, my husband at work, and not laid off. And you know I could go on, and on, and on with all the many blessings I have to be so very thankful for. The list also includes blogging friends like you, who brighten my days with beauty and inspiration. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! xo

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Happy Thanksgiving Gene. I love your art quilt. Your hand dyed fabric is beautiful!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Wonderful art quilt!! Happy Thanksgiving Gene!

Sondra said...

Really stunning work!

sew.darn.quilt said...

It's absolutely beautiful :)

kathy-o said...

I find myself just staring and staring at it, then going back and staring some more! It's so beautiful!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a beautiful quilt and trees make me happy too, and just seeing the world in general! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving :)