Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Doll update and Blog Hop Teaser

Hi there!  I thought I would share with you about the upcoming Blog Hop that I will be participating in.   Kelly Jackson of  IHAN and SewCalGal are working together on this hop although Kelly is the official host.  We have a great designer as a sponsor for this hop as you can see at the button on the left.
I have my designs picked out and am excited about getting started.  I did a test sew of one of the designs.  I will be using the test piece to make into a zipper pouch. I am not sure if I will have the zipper pouch done in time for the hop, but I hop so.  My concentration will be on making my main project for the hop.  I will be giving a prize that has been so graciously offered by our sponsor.  If you are a machine embroidery enthusiast you will want to be in the drawing for this! Unless the schedule changes, my day will be March 22.  I am happy about that as it gives me a little extra time.

In other news, I have been working on the doll that I am making for my great-niece.  I embroidered the face and have started putting on yarn hair.

Here is "Little Miss" reclining on my bed with the hair she has so far.

 And here is some hair that I will be adding to the back of her head. The white you see is tearaway/washaway stabilizer.  I just used the pieces I had torn from around some embroidery.  It is a great way to sew yarn into pre-formed wig pieces for a doll.  I thought this up on my own after  trying to follow the directions on the pattern.  This just worked better for me. The stabilizer will be hid under the hair, but all it will take is a bit of water to make it go away.

I meant to show this beauty earlier.  When I was making the doll parts - arms, legs, head and body, I used this stylus that was made just for me.  A dear friend, who is just turning 16, learned to do wood turning on her father's lathe.  She made Christmas ornaments for several people.  When she asked if I wanted one, I ask could I make a special request.  I told her what I wanted and then one day I was given this lovely stylus. Actually I got two of them- one for each of my sewing areas!  They were great for turning and pushing out the edges of the arms and legs. I used both ends also when I was stuffing the doll.  (Thanks Ashley! You are a delight!)  Isn't it nice to have tools that are pretty and useful all in one?  I know I find joy in it. Plus, this stylus feels good in my hand.  I love it. 
Until next time....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really good job on the face Gene! The curling tool is cool too! ♥

sewyouquilt2 said...

love the dress, the doll and the lovely tool. You are so smart to think of that way to make doll hair. I may have to steal your idea next time I am making dolls. ha ha

Patty said...

What a smart idea for the doll hair. I wish they had that stuff 25 years ago! I made a lot of dolls in the past 30 years, but my favorite to make was"big dollie". She is 3 feet tall. I am going to be making her again for my youngest daughter. She will be a mom in August. YEA!

Barbara said...

I hope you make more dolls, Gene, with wonderful faces like this one. Neat hair trick! That wooden tool is so pretty, you are lucky to have two of them. I can see them a hundred years from now in the Antique Roadshow with someone who doesn't know what they are for. Lol

Beth said...

The doll is looking so pretty with her hair. Great job.
Love the beautiful wood tool you have. It looks pretty and it iuf functional as well.

Jean(ie) said...

Look at you go! I can't wait for that hop. I need to learn about machine embroidery. I'm so excited!

Barb said...

I love your new tool...and your doll is coming along nicely.

Elaine said...

Looks like the same pattern that I used to make my granddaughter a doll. I wasn't so ambitious with the hair-a little tuft in front was it for me. I am going to try your suggestion for the next doll!

Snoodles said...

What a lovely doll...great job, Gene! It really is wonderful to have the right tool for the project! Looking forward to the hop!