Wednesday, March 27, 2013

More Free Motion

The class I am taking on Craftsy is Free Motion Quilting A Sampler with Leah Day.  I am really enjoying this class.  I wish I had a lot more time to be practicing.  Monday night I watched the section on quilting feathers.  I tried feathers a long time ago and honestly it looked horrid.  It was so bad in fact that I said "Okay so I will never quilt feathers!"   I couldn't even draw a decent feather-and I tried - a lot.
Fast forward- after watching the class on how to quilt feathers I spent some time drawing feathers.  I was pleasantly surprised that I seemed to have gotten it.  So Tuesday evening, I made up a quilt sandwich, drew a circle on it with a disappearing pen and had at it.

Forgive the bad picture but still....wow! I did it. My spiral inside it looks all wonky.  Oh well, I will get better at it  or just not do spirals.  I am practicing pebbling outside the feathered circle. I can tell that with practice I will get this.  Color me happy.

Also, on Tuesday evening, I drew a winner in the Anita Goodesign blog hop.
The Random Number Generator picked number 59.

Number 59 is Fran who said:


I have sent an email to Fran and I am waiting to hear from her with the info we need to get her prize to her.
Can I hear a big "Way to go!" for Fran and for the entire Blog Hop?



13 comments:

Barbara Arcement said...

wow! your feathers in a circle look great. I have not yet tried doing a circle.
I have practiced drawing feathers in a notebook trying to get "muscle memory" going with my hands so that I can do it when I have the fabric going under a needle.
Thanks for posting your work. It encourages me to keep trying
hugs
beebee

Anonymous said...

A great big Thank You! I am so thrilled to be your winner! Your FMQ looks great, I joined Sew Cal Gal's FMQ Challenge last year and just loved it! I still have a long way to go, but it is getting a little easier! Thanks again for a fabulous prize, and I will be in touch.

Marjorie said...

Your feathers look great. I have spent years sitting and doodling feathers on paper, napkins, and everything else-- as well as stitching them. And I still get some 'potato chips' among them, but stitching or drawing they're very addictive as you will find. And free motion at the machine is more difficult for me than longarming.

Jackie's Stitches said...

You've definitely got feathers! Great looking ones too.

Teresa Quilts said...

Way to go Fran! You FMQ is definitely much better than mine. I am afraid of feathers, but I do love the way they look on a quilt. Looking great, Gene!

Barbara said...

I think it all looks great! "Wonky" is your middle name, just go with it! Otherwise it will look like it was done by machine. We don't want that, oh no.

Rhonda said...

Gene, the feathers look great. This class seems like fun. I will remember that if I decide to sign up for a class to link via your blog for sure.
Take care my friend!!

Anonymous said...

When I started my FM quilting journey, last year, I had never done anything like that and believe me it didn't look nearly as good as yours! But now I am quilting all my projects, including feathers, and they are gradually improving. I followed Leah Day's blog all last year, and you are right that she is a great teacher, and for anyone who isn't familiar with Leah, check out her You Tube tutorials, they are fantastic. There are also some awesome tutorials still posted on http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/. You are welcome to visit me at
http://fnewiest.blogspot.ca/


Barb said...

Your reathers look great....I think that will have to be my next class.

Cindy said...

Are YOU serious, Gene? You did an outstanding job!! KUDOS to you my friend!!

Jean(ie) said...

Yipppeeeee!
Your feathers look great! This was a good class for you. You're a natural at this.

Beth said...

Yeah Fran, Congrats. Gene, your feathers look great. And what I could seee if the pebbling looks great too. I sure would be happy if I could do that.

Kate Brown said...

Gene!! You did a fantastic job! Especially for someone just learning! I havent been brave enough to tackle feathers yet but I have found the more I repeat FMQ designs the better I get at it. So,I guess practice makes perfect and you should be there in no time at all!