Sunday, December 15, 2013

Angel Quilts - Delivery and Winners

Saturday, December 14th dawned rainy and dreary. The weather forecast said that we should have sun by afternoon. That didn't happen. The weather was dreary all day long.  But, we had sunshine! It was in our hearts and on our faces, but most of all on faces of the teens at Ogden house. I wish I could share their smiles with you, but that is prohibited. So, trust me, there were smiles!

Thanks to a group of amazing quilters from many places, we had 26 quilts donated. It was a delight to unload the trunk of the car at the facility. We put the quilts on the pool table in the common are of the facility and let the teens choose the quilt that said "love" to them.
One quilt wasn't even unfolded before it was chosen.  The young lady saw it and said "I want that one" The sender had included a note to be given with the quilt.  This was priceless.  The note said that the quilt was for someone special. I heard this young lady proudly telling the others "I am special." She also showed the note to everyone.  Everyone needs a chance to be special. I hope that all of these kids know that they are special, indeed, that they are loved. Many of them checked to see "where did my quilt come from?"
One young lady chose her quilt for the backing fabric. That was a surprise to me, but I was so pleased to see that it made her happy.  (you will hear her tell why in the days to come.)
The staff at the facility that were working, Jean and Eric, are wonderful people. You will see Ms. Jean in the prize drawing video.  Several times she almost teared up looking at the quilts and talking about "her kids" at the facility.

So what did it look like around that table?  I had to crop the pictures to get rid of faces, but here is a bit to see.
Everyone was looking at the quilts, The quilts were folded, unfolded and refolded several times.

Even Mr. Eric was looking at the quilts. He commented that they are really art. You can see his arm in the picture below. 
I have a couple of videos of individual teens saying "Thank you" and telling why they love the quilt they chose. We filmed them from the neck down for privacy reasons.  Those will show up in a day or two. I still need to process that video.
So, or should I say SEW,  here are the winners:


All of the winners have been emailed and I have heard back from most of them. There are two that I am still arranging the logistics of the prize claiming.

Thanks to everyone! And Merry Christmas to you all! 
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

12 comments:

Marjorie said...

So happy to see this beautiful event. A special thanks to you for making the effort to do this for this very deserving group of young people.

Susan said...

How fun it must have been to see these kids picking out their special quilt! Wishing them all a very merry Christmas and a happy new year!

(I'm also excited to have won a prize...I see another jelly roll quilt for charity in my future!)

Linda C said...

Love seeing this post, Gene. Glad we could share some more quilts with you this year for this purpose. Your mission is exactly what we have with Wrap Them in Love and what Bama Belles does so a good choice. I will send them a link later today.

Barb said...

I know that you are so thrilled to do this even each year. Sure makes one in the Christmas Spirit. Bless you Gene...you are the best.

Barb said...

I know that you are so thrilled to do this even each year. Sure makes one in the Christmas Spirit. Bless you Gene...you are the best.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Thanks for doing this for the kids each year. I hope it brightens their lives for a long time.

Elaine said...

What a lovely thing to do, Gene. That is truly the real meaning of Christmas, giving ourselves away just like Jesus did. Blessings to you:)

Teresa Quilts said...

This is awesome, Gene! I am sorry I couldn't help you myself this year, but next year, add me to your list. :D Love seeing what a blessing you and these quilts are.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Have fun was that drawing :):) Congratulations to the winners.

Pat said...

I am very proud to know such a kind, compassionate person as you, Gene. I'm sure this is a highlight of your
Advent/Christmas season.....and also a highlight for the recipients of those wonderful quilts.

Beth said...

Wonderful!!! I wish I had been able to contribute this year. I have not finished a quilt since I moved in March. ugh Hope to get moving so I have a quilt next year.
Thank you for doing this project! I so agree that every kid shouild feel special.

Lisa said...

Thank YOU so much Gene for putting together this Quilt Angels Project and for giving me my Christmas present early with your story of the 'special' young lady's reaction to both the note and the quilt. I will definitely be participating again next year!!!