Monday, December 16, 2013

Quilt Angels - A Teen Speaks

We did a couple of videos of recipients saying why they like the quilt they received. I really thought that I had already uploaded two of these - but one of them is missing. (Sigh) So it will be next weekend before I can get it from the photographer.  Only two of them were willing to talk on camera. Again, for privacy issues there are no faces shown.

Here is one of the guys telling why he chose this quilt.
I had to edit the video to remove his face so you don't hear him say "thank you" But I think with what he says you can tell he is grateful.

There is a funny story behind this.  The executive director was telling me that the teens were asked to make a list of things they would want for Christmas.  My church had an Angel Tree where you could pick an angel and buy for them from these lists.  None of the items were extravagant.  I saw things like "a watch" "new socks" "Axe cologne" (hey, they are teenagers).  On one guy's list he put "anything to do with fishing." (I am using Joe to protect privacy, it is not his real name.)  When the quilts were put on the table, another guy saw this quilt and picked it up.  I said "Who is the fishing guy?"  He grinned and said "that is Joe.   Hey, where is Joe"  Then he handed him the quilt and said "Look at this one"  Joe took the quilt and said "This is the one I want!"
Now who would have thought that we would have had a fishing quilt, just for this guy?


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

11 comments:

Barb said...

What a wonderful story!! Thanks so much or sharing with us and letting us be a part of the Angels.

Susan said...

Obviously that quilt was meant to belong to that young man! I hope it brings him much happiness!

suemac said...

A lot of times we give away quilts for charity and don't see the reaction of the recipient. It was great you could give them in person.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Thanks for posting that video. What a fluke that there would be a fishing quilt for a fishing guy!

Linda C said...

I know a little about this one and am going to be sure to point the quilter who made it this direction! Sweet to hear how this young man feels about his quilt. Perfect choice for him.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

What a great story!! it was nice that you were able to be there to see the teens and their reactions to the quilts - thanks for sharing - ;))

Bev said...

Gene, I made the "Fishing Quilt" as well as the "Owl in the Garden Quilt.". I was so happy that the little guy was happy.

Beth said...

How totally wonderful that the fishing guy had a quilt just for him. Talk about special!!! And his appreciation was so evident.

sewyouquilt2 said...

sometimes we are guided from someone up above to put needed items with the needy. He needed a fishing quilt and he got it. How cool! the miracle of Christmas

Barbara said...

Cute story, Gene. My husband would have instantly adopted that quilt, perhaps even I would have also as he has turned me into a fisherwoman(?) since retirement. I will be absent for a bit as I travel for my Dad's funeral in NC (age 96) and then return to our own home for our children's arrival for Christmas. Much joy to you for the holidays, as you have brought to others.

Kathleen said...

God works in mysterious ways!