Sunday, December 08, 2013

More Wonky Blocks and a New Scarf on the Loom

This time of year there is a lot going on and I don't seem to be getting a lot of creative work done. That is okay as my life is full and happy.
At least on the weekend I can get a little sewing and such done.

I worked on the Wonky 9 patch project again.  As you can see, I did two pairs of blocks. I am striving to have lots of contrast in this quilt.  I also experimented with the cutting. I did the two blocks on the bottom first.  These were using the same "pattern" of cutting that I used for the previous blocks.  Then I made the purple/yellow blocks and made the lines parallel instead of opposing.  You will notice that the opposing line blocks will join in a true mirror image of shapes.  This is not so with the parallel lines version. Perhaps one of you who studied geometry (and did better at it than I did) can explain why to me.  Actually, I see why but I can't explain it well. - Maybe it is just too early on Sunday morning!


I also put a warp on the loom to make another scarf. I just love the weaving process.  It  is also fun to create the patterns. This is a plain weave (so far ) But I just had an idea of how to incorporate a small amount of Brooks Bouquet lace into it.
When I was stringing (warping) the loom for this, I had written out the order of the colors but I decided to change something so it was a bit "scribbledy" so I didn't do what I really planned.  That led to a creative decision in the warping process.  Do you ever realize you made an oops and then just decide to punt and leave it?  Sometimes I undo and fix it, but sometimes it leads to a better idea.
Now,  let me point out an "unfixable" oops in this.  It is minor so I am leaving it. At the lower right edge of the scarf there is a wobble in my tension - the cloth juts in slightly.  In the grand scheme of things, that will not matter, so I am good with it.

One of my favorite children's books, A Wrinkle in Time, has a scene that speaks to accepting your flaws.  One of the characters, who is a cosmic helper of sorts, tells her "Meg, I give you your faults" - Meg doesn't understand at the time, but learns that her very worst faults can be channeled and used as strengths.  So, I leave you with this: "I give you your faults"

Peace be with you.


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

6 comments:

suemac said...

I guess I am a fan of opposing rather than parallel. There is more fluidity.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Could you get the top row to be "mirror image" if you rotated the block on the top right 180 degrees? It looks like you rotated the one on the bottom right but not the one on top right - but then again - it's probably just me - ;))

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Both your blocks and weaving look wonderful to me. Every little imperfection just makes it more original and truly a individual creation.

Snoodles said...

I love your wonky blocks! They're great! (Imagine that said in a Tony the Tiger kind of way. Grin) Love the weaving, too...that commissioned scarf down below is so cool!

Pat said...

I really love seeing all your scarves! And that flaw is so tiny, it is hardly worth mentioning.

Barbara said...

Have been away, love your new scarf, of course! What flaw? Lol