Sunday, July 13, 2014

A Fun Trip

On Friday, I went to a weaving conference opening session.  This session was free and open to the public.  One of the most interesting parts was a fashion show of clothing and accessories made with Saori woven fabric.  Saori is both a company and a philosophy.  In the USA it is a registered trademark.   The philosophy speaks about making things by hand in a way that a machine can not make them.  Errors are not seen as flaws but as adding interest in the designs.  It also speaks to learning from each other: "we learn together as a group."  Even the beginner makes valid discoveries and shares them with the masters.

But what of this fashion show?  Do you want to see pictures? I have to say that this gave me so much inspiration for weaving - and for sewing also.
Here are a couple to tempt you - then you can follow the link to my Flickr album.




My Fashion Show Pictures on Flickr.


My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

9 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

thanks Gene I love it-off to check the link

Holee said...

What a great showing! I really love the tote bag with the wooden handles.

Barbara Arcement said...

love the fashions....I can not wait to see what you will be showing us soon here on your blog!
I am going to check out that link.
thanks for viiting my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment
hugs
beebee

Vicki W said...

I love that second one!

Beth said...

oh so many beautiful pieces. I know the wheels are turning for you...I know somehing new and amazing will happen soon.

Jeanna said...

I would have bet money, if I were a betting person, that you made the first dress. It just seems like a Gene Black original ... Now off to Flikr, if I can remember my login.

Rhonda said...

Hi Gene. It's 3:30AM and I'm awake....sigh....so I decided to visit blogs to see what's up. Love this post. I see you are enjoying your retirement whole-heartedly. I'll bet you can't wait to "create"

textart said...

Thank you Gene, for posting so many of the fashion items. I didn't realize how many there were, and was happy to see images of the ones I missed whilst in the changing room. It really was a lot of fun.

Barb said...

I just know you had a great time, some of the things you have made could have been up there.