Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Do you think of Christmas in July?

Some kind soul asked if we would be doing the Quilt Angels project again this year.  I answered with a resounding yes.  The Quilt Angels project has been my Christmas project since 2011.  So right now I am thinking of Christmas in July.
For those of  you who don't know about the Quilt Angels,  let me give a brief overview.
Photo Courtesy of Dave Burks


Quilt Angels is a project that provides quilts to young people who are in the Ogden House shelter in Alabama. This shelter is a safe place for children ages 12-17 that are temporarily displaced from their families or are deemed a child in need of services, not "juvenile delinquents.”  Some of them have made poor choices due to the lack of parenting.  The youth participate in activities that will increase their knowledge of life skills. Some examples of life skills training they receive will include chores, cooking, budgeting, and other independent living skills. The children also volunteer and perform community services work while in the program and attend public schools to continue their educations. But one of the most important things is that they are given both love and appropriate discipline. They learn the boundaries and how to live within them.

So, we want them to know that love comes from everywhere.  And what better way to show love than with a warm snuggly quilt?  We ask for large lap quilt-- up to bed quilt size.  These young people leave the shelter with a visible sign of love - a quilt.   We deliver the quilts to the shelter usually the week before Christmas.

Each year I have been honored to do this has changed me. I have learned to be more accepting; to be more grateful; and to be more generous.  I realize that the life I change just could be the one that makes this world a better place.  That thought thrills my heart.

So, if you want to know more - there is a tab at the top of my blog; or you can click here.  The posts from the past years are linked on that page.


We are always happy to have sponsors for prize and will give you links in the posts and our undying gratitude.

So if you would love to donate a quilt - you have several months to work on it- you can let me know now or wait until the big kickoff in November.

Here is Ms. Jean, one of the house mothers, saying thanks.


My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

9 comments:

Vicki W said...

You can count on me for a prize donation.

Jeanna said...

Count me in for at least one :)

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

You are an Angel Gene!

I'll do my best to support you in any way I can. Can't promise a quilt just now....but if I can get one together...you know you are welcome to it!

Hugs,
Kelly

Beth said...

I have been in a terrible slump lately, but I am going to try and get going on a quilt so it will be ready

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This will work perfectly with the Scrap Challenge - will do up a post and I have a tote full of string blocks waiting to be played with.

Kathleen said...

Gene - you silly - you keep remarking about the joy in the room when the quilts are given - that's coming from you ---

Have you ever read the story about Columbine High? It was when Project Linus began - there were therapists to talk with the kids after the shootings - and the teens just sat there and wouldn't talk - one night, two nights, three... Finally someone said "I have some quilts - do you think that might help?" No, was the answer - these are teens, not children - they don't want quilts.
But that 'angel' brought them the next night, and put them on a table... After half hour of silence, one child got up, got a quilt, and covered his head with it. Then another put one around his waist... one by one, till all were wrapped in quilts - and then one person started talking - and the healing began.............

Pattilou said...

I have a bright quilt already nearly completed and by Christmas I'm sure to have at least one more.

marilyn said...

could you send me an address? I will box up some teen boy quilts and get them in the mail as soon as the box is full. I know those are in the most demand. Bless you for doing this.

Lisa said...

Count me in too!!!!! It was such a blessing to be a part of your wonderful Quilt Angels Project last year.