Thursday, September 04, 2014

A bit of sewing

I did a bit of sewing but I am not happy with the product - at least not for myself.  It seems that I am not good at making clothing for myself.  But I plan to get better.
 I decided to take a t-shirt and cut off the bottom, replacing it with some of my woven fabric.

TShirt with Woven saori fabric
 
While I like it on the hanger, when I put it on, it appears that I have just wrapped the fabric around me like an apron.  It accentuates my tubby belly.   So I am planning to see how it fits my niece. If it looks good on her, then she will get it as an unbirthday present.
If not, I may take it back to the drawing board and see what else I can do with it.

I hope your sewing or other creative endeavors are working as you hoped.  As for me,  I will be getting back to it soon.  I always see a "failure" as a lesson in "how not to do it."  Each one brings me closer to success.  So remember that and smile when your things don't go as planned. Consider it a learning experience and move forward.
Peace my friends.

My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't do clothes. I've tried........ugh. Looks good though.

Average Quilter said...

I can sew anything under the sun and make it fit to a tee except for me. When I make cloths for me they always make me look like I weigh 300 lbs.

Vicki W said...

I can't imagine that a heavy woven fabric would work well on a t-shirt like that but I love the idea of the little bits appliquéd over it. I could also see a smaller panel sewn to the from or back like the size of a screen print. I think your woven piece is just overwhelming the t-shirt.

Another idea might be a vertical panel down one side. Lay the shirt flat and cut out a 3" wide slice from shoulder to hem then cut a 3 1\2" wide woven piece and insert it in the shirt. Does that make sense?

Barbara said...

I cant make clothes for myself, either; and the thing I always learn when I try is...I can't make clothers for myself!

Barbara said...

Gene, having an awful time with the captcha...hope it becomes comfy for you to try again without it soon. :(

Kathleen said...

It would be interesting to see how it looks on your niece. Might look cute with a pair of leggings.

Barb said...

You know what I like about this, you are not afraid to try and you have other options...that is what is so great about creating!

Laura said...

Hi, Gene! I think Vicki W has a great suggestion. You would still have the drape and stretch of the knit across the chest, with a bold, masculine strip.

Beth said...

I admire your creativity and your ability to try things. I would probably think about it for a year and then just forget the whole thing.

Jeanna said...

That was a very creative idea you had with the shirt. It looks great, hope it works for your niece.

Rhonda said...

Hi Gene. This is a great post. I often turn my ooops' into other projects which turn out better.
At this time, I'm in a slump...I've gotten very lazy lately but will get back to "it" soon enough!!
Take care.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Love the weaving. Some of the ideas presented here in the comments intrigue me, esp the one about a strip down the off-center front of the T-shirt. I have a piece of weaving that I may try that with. Thanks to your wonderfully creative commenters.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I love how you are not afraid to experiment with stuff - and I know "how not to do" a LOT of things - haha - ;))