Wednesday, March 18, 2015

A bit of Spinning and weaving

I haven't been doing much quilting lately as I have been engrossed in my spinning and weaving.  No fears, I have NOT stopped quilting, it is just on the back burner right now.

For St Patrick's Day, I decided to wind a couple of warps for my loom.  The warp is the part of the fabric that runs the lengthwise grain - you know, in quilting it is the direction with the least stretch - or almost NO stretch.  In Weaving the warp is the background to the piece but can really add color and sparkle.  I call this one Leprechaun's Treasures as it it green (clover) and gold (end of the rainbow.)
I had already shown you the yarn I spun in coils or beehives.
I decided really quickly to add that into my fabric. I wanted to see how it acted as weft (the cross grain of the fabric.)
Look at the texture and color pop it adds. 
I did some other textured yarns and some patterning in the weaving. 
Fun little color "bubbles"

No that is not a shadow in the top section, I used two colors. 
I also made another warp that will be used later - but I have six meter of this one to weave yet. 
Here is the other warp. I confess it is more "my" colors. 
The teal or peacock blue really makes me smile.  Of course these colors would also work wonderfully for a quilt.

At this moment I have more wool fiber absorbing the dye.  Once it is dry it will be spun into yarn for even more fun with fiber arts. 

My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

I agree with Kathy, awesome. Your colors are wonderful!

Vicki W said...

I'm glad you are having so much fun with your weaving and all that experimentation will really pay off.

Jeanna said...

You have really mastered the craft of weaving. I love the colors you are working with now.

suemac said...

I too love the blue.