Saturday, March 28, 2015

Wall Hangings

I have been making some wall hangings for a consignment gallery.  These are woven with purchased wool yarn as the warp.  I used some of my handwoven yarns in the weft of the fabric on these hangings.  I also added some embellishments.

Starting on the left: The first weaving has polished stones added as embellishments.
The second one has beads that I made with polymer clay probably 3 or 4 years ago.
The third one has two pieces of crepe myrtle bark woven through the fabric as embellishment.
The fourth has a slice of a shell that is attached as an embellishment - since all the blue colors remind me of the ocean. You may also notice the other colors, yellow, pinks and browns giving the impression of a beach at sunset.

The piece with hand made beads was the first of these that I wove.  Since the colors reminded me of these beads, I pulled out the beads and added them to the work.
There are six beads in total on this piece, but the topmost one on the right blends so perfectly with the design that you may have difficulty seeing it in the photo.
The hanging sticks for these are made of locally sourced bamboo.  (thanks to my brother for gathering it for me!)



My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

5 comments:

Jeanna said...

These are all very nice wall hangings. The beachy one with the shell is, of course, my favorite ;) I love how you made the scene with water on the bottom and the sky at the top.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a great idea, to really showcase the yarns and embellishments.

kathyinozarks said...

love your weavings Gene, I am thinking of trying the saori style with my little 8" structo loom

Barbara said...

Which loom did you use, Gene? These are way beyond my ability, but I can see me getting similar results on my frame loom. I have some of your handmade beads, now I have yet another idea for them. Did you add those as you wove, or after the piece was done?

Kathleen said...

Very nice. I think these will go quickly.