Saturday, March 21, 2015

Quilt Weekend

Thanks to social media, I am aware that this is International Quilting Weekend.  This morning I decided to watch The Quilt Show episode #1404 with Victoria Findlay Wolfe.   I love Victoria's style of "play" quilting.  Just sew pieces together quickly and see what happens.  Okay, so maybe that is over simplified.  Fortunately this weekend you can watch her episode on the Quilt Show for free.

I was inspired to pull out some pieces and PLAY.  I went for a little more than 15 minutes but I had fun.  I have "little ones" for the rest of the weekend and most of next week, so I won't get to do anymore sewing most likely.
Here are my play pieces.  Only one of them is a full block but the other pieces will be added to and become bigger another day.
For three of them, I cut up a big four patch and sewed it onto corners and a side.  That will add some cohesion when they all go into the same quilt later.

I hope your 'quilting weekend' is being fun and/or productive.

My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

9 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I took a class with Victoria last summer when I won a scholarship at Quilting by the Lake. She is awesome and her book is terrific. I keep going back to it as a reference. I have some of the quilts made this way on my blog.

Marlene said...

Saori quilting! Who woulda thunk it?!

I did some quilting decades ago --- a couple of bed sized quilts, a few wall quilts. I still have a pieced quilt top tucked away in a dresser drawer awaiting it's filling and backing.

kathyinozarks said...

fun blocks Gene I remember years ago my Mom went to a quilt retreat and it was quilting in this manner-totally out of her comfort zone but she had fun with it

Barbara said...

Very neat, and as always, colorful!

suemac said...

I too took in some of the Quilt Show episodes. More on the plate for me today.

Snoodles said...

I love the results of your playtime! Have fun with the little ones!

Starr White said...

Hi Gene! Fellow Alabamian here - just wanted to pop in and say Hi and share support for a fellow Alabama artist. Your quilts are stunning!

Jeanna said...

Nice blocks, Gene. I worked on machine embroidery for National Quilting Day...those machine embroidered blocks will end up in a quit so that should count.

Barb said...

That is what I love about you Gene...you just go for it and add your own twist and style....love it!