Wednesday, February 06, 2019

Oh My Stars

For February the Island Batik challenge is called Magnificent Minis.
After some deliberation, I decided that I would do a field of wonky stars.   Then I looked at the fabrics I was given to work with and decided to make it a little more interesting by dividing the field into four colors.  Of course, I didn't want to do it as four squares, so I thought a while longer and decided that I could divide the square in two diagonals.   Making one diagonal - that was an easy thing to do.  But on the other, it took some planning and careful fabric choices.

Here is one of the photos I took of this mini quilt. In case you are wondering this little quilt is 22 1/2 inches square. Each star block is 3" finished - so each star point section is started with a 1 1/2" square and finished at 1" - that is possibly the smallest piecing I have ever done.

But since we had a sunny warm day, I decided to go on a photo "safari" with the mini quilt of stars.  My location of choice was a local park that has a lake.  There is also an old covered bridge there.  So I put the quilt against the wall just inside the bridge, hanging it over one of the boards.
Wow, I love how that shot came out. 
But there are more photos.  

I stepped to the back of the bridge and put the quilt on one of the guard rails.  Before I could take the photo,  a visitor landed on top of the bridge, so I included this photo-bomber. 
Do you see that lovely gray heron?
I tried to get a photo of the heron sitting on a small ?rock? in the lake but he flew as I snapped the photo. 

There is also a nice spraying fountain in the lake. 
I think it made a nice backdrop also. 
And a couple more shots taken in a friend's yard. 
The fabrics are all Island Batiks.  The batting is Hobbs 80/20 Heirloom. The thread is Aurifil for both piecing and quilting. 


Of course I am required to tell you that I was provided the fabrics and the batting for making this quilt by Island Batik and Hobbs Batting at no charge to me.  I also used Aurifil thread in the construction and quilting, but that thread was already in my stash.  

I would like to thank Island Batik,  Hobbs Batting, Aurifil Thread and Accuquilt for being sponsors of the 2019 Island Batik Ambassador program. 

Throughout the month, the Ambassadors will be sharing Magnificent Mini quilts.  Here is a list of other Ambassadors with links to websites for each. Enjoy the journey with us. 

Carolina Asmussen ~Carolina Asmussen
Gene Black ~ Gene Black (you are here)
Pamela Boatright ~ PamelaQuilts
Connie K Campbell ~ Freemotion by the River
Anja Clyke ~ Anja Quilts
Becca Fenstermaker ~Pretty Piney
Jennifer Fulton ~ Inquiring Quilter
Barbara Gaddy ~ Bejeweled Quilts by Barb
Dione Gardner-Stephen ~ Clever Chameleon
Sarah Goer ~ Sarah Goer Quilts
Vasudha Govindan ~ Storied Quilts
Joanne Hart ~ Unicornharts
Mania (Magdalini) Hatziioannidi ~ Mania for Quilts
Carla Henton ~ Creatin’ in the Sticks
Stephanie Jacobson ~ Steph Jacobson Designs
Connie Kauffman ~ Kauffman Designs
Joan Kawano ~ Moosestash Quilting
Kim Lapacek ~ Persimon Dreams
Emily Leachman ~ The Darling Dogwood
Leanne Parsons ~ Devoted Quilter
Bea Lee ~ BeaQuilter
Toby Lischko ~ Gateway Quilts & Stuff
Bill Locke ~ Studio Bill Locke
Denise Looney ~ For the Love of Geese
Leah Malasky ~ Quilted Delights
Sally Manke ~ Sally Manke
Maryellen McAuliffe ~ Mary Mack's Blog
Kathleen McCormick ~ Kathleen McMusing
Carol Moellers ~ Carol Moellers Designs
Karen Neary ~ Sew Karen-ly Created
Jackie O’Brien ~ If These Threads Could Talk
Laura Piland ~ Slice of Pi Quilts
Michelle Roberts ~ Creative Blonde
Vicki Schlimmer ~ Vicki's Crafts and Quilting
Gail Sheppard ~ Quilting Gail
Sherry Shish ~ Powered by Quilting
Anita Skjellanger ~ Quilt in a not-Shell
Laticia "Tish" Stemple ~ Tish's Adventures in Wonderland
Jennifer Strauser ~ Dizzy Quilter
Jennifer Thomas ~ Curlicue Creations
Terri Vanden Bosch ~ Lizard Creek Quilts
Alison Vermilya ~ Little Bunny Quilts
Sandra Walker ~ mmm! quilts
(Debora) Anne Wiens ~ Seams like a Plan
Geraldine Wilkins ~ Living Water Quilter
Janet Yamamoto ~ Whispers of Yore
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

25 comments:

Barbara said...

This little quilt is SO wonderful! It fits into any decor, even outdoor scenarios as you made very clear, and it lends its rainbow of color wherever most evident. Of your photos, I love the covered bridge inside photo the most. It’s a perfect study in opposites, and it shows the quilt color off in all its glory. I will be going back to the Ambassador links soon to see what others have created. Thank you for those, it will be great fun!

Debbie said...

Applause, Gene! Most excellent photo shoot.....even a mini deserves the best. All those photos are great. As for the mini project...double wows! You excellent design skill came roaring to the front on this one. A different style setting really made all those precious stars explode. Excellent job.

Frog Quilter said...

Beautiful and the photos are fabulous.

diane said...

Intriguing and interesting. You nailed it all the way around. What more can one say except it's lovely!

Annmarie said...

Love your mini. Great safari too!

Barb said...

Your mini turned out wonderfully!! Love the background

Vicki W said...

What a great little quilt!

Vicki in MN said...

Great mini, gotta love a star quilt. You found some great spots to snap the photos.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This is a great quilt - I really like the background colors you chose - using the four colors is an inspiring choice! Great photo shoot too.

Quilting Tangent said...

Interesting, never saw one with different backgrounds.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Batiks work so nicely in mini quilts because there is less bulk and hardly any raveling. Your mini is spectacular!

Turid said...

I LOVE your little quilt. Great photoes too. And I'm so looking forward to seeing what more you can make from these beautiful fabrics.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Beautiful mini!! I love your choice of location for the "photo safari". The colors are fabulous and the close-up shot shows off the quilting nicely. It will be a lot of fun watching you meet the various "challenges" each month. What a terrific way to show off your talent - at no cost to you - LOL - ;))

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Love your mini so much Gene. And the shots of it, especially in the bridge and in front of the fountain. The bridge photo is fascinating as well as beautiful, the scale of the quilt is really hard to fathom in that shot - it's a bit of a head-messer. Great job, you are clearly going to have a great year!

Kathleen said...

Love it! The mini is terrific and those points are sure small. You did a great job - congratulations. Love the heron pic - we saw one yesterday on the river near our apartment - they are beauties.

Marlene said...

Beautiful work Ambassador Black. I can see you will be an excellent spokesperson. I love the shading across this quilt and your beautiful photographs.

teachpany said...

Awesome job and great photos. Looking forward to all your projects.

Jeanna said...

Your mini quilt is beautiful. I love the colors and, oh so tiny stars. That park was the perfect location for a photo shoot. You saw and photographed some interesting things.

lorrwill said...

You certainly are a prolifict quilter and have an excellent eye for color and balance. And I love mini's because they can be quick but also a challenge handling the itsy bitsy pieces.

I have to confess that everything I see "Aurifil" my skin crawls because of the way their spokesman treats women.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What a great quilt! Great photos, too.

Karen E Overton said...

Congratulations on the success of the first of many stunning creations made for your Island Batik Ambassador challenges. Wishing you a wonderful year!

Angie said...

Awesome mini and such beautiful photos! You did wonderful work on the mini! Enjoy your day! Happy early Valentine's day as well! :-) :-)

eileen said...

Love your mini stars !! Great colours on those diagonals, really set off the stars!

Carla said...

I love this post with those fantastic pictures of the sweetest mini quilt. You really rocked this challenge!


Jennifer Schifano Thomas said...

Gene, I love the photo session you did with your sparkly star quilt. It looks beautiful.