Saturday, February 23, 2019

Shhh....A "Secret" Project

After diligently working on my Island Batik March project, I am nearing a completion.  Of course I can't show it until March - and I hope I finish it by then.
I am doing something I have never done.  Yes, this is a true confession.  I am hand sewing the binding to the back of the quilt. I honestly have never done this before. But, as it is the traditional method, I decided I needed to do it at least once.  I sewed more than one side without using a thimble -mostly because I couldn't find one here.  Yes, I do own thimbles but as a rule I dislike using them.

Since I can't show you the front of the quilt, let me tease you a bit with the back of it.  The backing fabric is a delightful Island Batik Neutral called "Whip Cream."  It is off white/cream with a spattering of pale blue and a darker cream swirl pattern.

I have adjusted the photos to show off the quilting better so the colors are not true in the photos.



I had lots of fun quilting this quilt and deciding which quilting designs and motifs to use.  There are a number of "Square Flower" motifs which I learned from Lori Kennedy.  I also pulled out a book or two to look at other ideas. One of those was 180 Quilting Doodle Designs compiled by Karen Burns.
Another was Step-by-Step Free-Motion Quilting by Christina Cameli.   Christina has been one of my favorite FMQ teachers. Her teaching and "you can do it" attitude have really helped me to be better at Free Motion Quilting.  Even though we have never met, I consider her a true friend.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you will return in March for the reveal of this quilt. But don't wait until then.  I am sure I will be posting more here before the end of February.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

14 comments:

Barbara said...

I’m in awe of you saying you “had lots of fun” quilting this quilt. If it had been my responsibility, I’d have farmed it out. It looks so tedious and not fun for me, yet I’m sure it was very rewarding and fulfilling for you. Gene, you are incredibly talented!
I have always hand-sewn the bindings to the backs of my quilts, but I never used a thimble. I like to collect interesting thimbles, but I never use them. The fabric is perfect for showing the quilting. It’s all so beautiful!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your quilting is beautiful - as usual! You have an interesting combination of patterns, too - it makes the back as interesting as the front - at least until we get to SEE the front - LOL - ;))

Quilting Gail said...

Lovely quilting, Gene!!!
I can't wait to see the front!!!
Happy Quilting! :-)
quiltinggail@yahoo.ca

Debbie said...

We have been appropriately teased! Can't wait for the reveal. The quilting looks wonderful....I can tell you have studied and practiced. What a difference from a couple of years ago. Look at you go:)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is really pretty quilting. I will have to consider that for my current quilt. It is funny that I am trying to learn how to machine stitch a binding and you are learning to hand stitch it. I have always handstitched mine, and I never use a thimble.

Frog Quilter said...

Very pretty quilting. Ok so you have teased me and I will have to wait for the reveal wah. Lol.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is really pretty quilting. I will have to consider that for my current quilt. It is funny that I am trying to learn how to machine stitch a binding and you are learning to hand stitch it. I have always handstitched mine, and I never use a thimble.

Sandra Walker said...

Wow, I just finished my February mini! Your FMQ is looking tantalizing! Love that backing fabric. Have just read through several posts of your Mérida blog which gave me such heartwarming smiles and fond memories as I recognize so many of the places and names you talk about! I do love Christina as well, own her Step by Step book, and one of her Craftsy (now bluprint) classes.

Jeanna said...

The back of this quilt is already a work of art. I'm surprised that you've never hand stitched the binding to the back of a quilt. I thought you had done everything...LOL!

Vasudha said...

I'm loving this mystery and intrigue. Looking forward to see front of this beautifully quilted back :-)

Kathleen said...

Secrets!!! You are too funny! I love that you are hand binding. I actually love to do it when I have time. I never ever use a thimble - only for quilting - its the way I prefer. I took Christina Camelli this weekend at Quilt Con and I love her too! Can’t wait to see the effects it has on my quilting. Love what I see so far, but I look forward to the reveal!

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Can't wait for the reveal. Your quilting is terrific.... if you had added a random square or motif to your backing you could have used the back side as your modern challenge too! And again, the binding for your new technique challenge.... lol, just kidding. I can't get on with thimbles, and I never considered anyone would use them to stitch binding.

Danice G said...

Looking beautiful Gene. cannot wait to see it all finished. It looks awesome already.

Turid said...

I can't wait to see the finished quilt. Luckily it's almost March. Thanks for the links to free motion quilting, as I'm just learning more of that.